The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Waterbrook CabSauv WashState '86..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Waterbrook CabSauv WashState '86..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Served this last night as a mystery wine:
1. Waterbrook CabernetSauvignon WashState (13%) Lowden 1986: Dark color w/ slight bricking; beautiful toasty/charred/Fr.oak somewhat herbal/green pepper/blackcurranty/Cab rather Bdx-like complex nose; soft/bit flat strong toasty/charred/Fr.oak very herbal/bell pepper/Cab/blackcurranty somewhat old Bdx-like flavor w/ light/angular tannins; very long/lingering strong toasty/charred/Fr.oak strong herbal/bell pepper/Cab/blackcurranty slight earthy/loamy quite Bdx-like complex finish w/ light/bitey tannins; starting to dry out a bit; a beautiful fully mature quite Bdx-like/herbal Cabernet.
1. I was expecting this wine to be in pretty sad shape. It was not. I found a lot of the WashState Cabs in the '80's to be on the soft/fat/unstructured side that suggested a high pH wine. But, of course, always loaded w/ a ton of charred Fr.oak. This Cab has certainly withstood the test of time.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Waterbrook CabSauv WashState '86..(short/boring)

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:19 am

Impressive; but I don't think any Waterbrook cab made today would hold up like that. They taste like they'd last about five years max.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Could Be..

by TomHill » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Impressive; but I don't think any Waterbrook cab made today would hold up like that. They taste like they'd last about five years max.

CouldBe, Jenise. I haven't had one since the late '80's. But it must have impressed me at the time.
Tom
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:09 pm

I seem to remember that the winemaker back then might have been Eric Rindal . They made some really excellent wines back then. it got sold to Precept a while back. Back then it was much smaller production.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 am

michael dietrich wrote:I seem to remember that the winemaker back then might have been Eric Rindal . They made some really excellent wines back then. it got sold to Precept a while back. Back then it was much smaller production.

Michael, good to see you here again! And I'm sure you're right. There are few wineries making wines these days (for one reason or another, and usually change of ownership) the way they did 20 years ago. Btw, speaking of WA wines, served a L'Ecole 41 the other night at our neighborhood tasting group and was surprised to learn that in 1983, just three years before this particular wine was made, L'Ecole became only the third commercial winery in WA state. 1983!!!! And now there are what, over 800?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Back in 1986 we opened a deli and wine shop in Portland. I remember Marty stopping by with his Semillon and Merlot to see if I would like to carry them. His comment was the Semillon was a love it or hate it style of wine. Yes I was one of the love it people. One of the few barrel fermented ones back then.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:51 pm

michael dietrich wrote:Back in 1986 we opened a deli and wine shop in Portland. I remember Marty stopping by with his Semillon and Merlot to see if I would like to carry them. His comment was the Semillon was a love it or hate it style of wine. Yes I was one of the love it people. One of the few barrel fermented ones back then.

Yup....Semillon is a very underrated grape. They're often a bit on the neutral side upon release. But they invariably age into something
very/very interesting. As for Merlot....pffftttt!!
Tom