The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old or young...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Old or young...

by Mark S » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Chateau du Tetre, Margaux, 2000
Extreme wood and dark fruits upon opening. Tastes angry, showing tart fruit, coarse tannin, and yeah, that wood again. Not very pleasant. Not sure if it simply needs more time, or if it'll always have a chip on its shoulder? B/(B+ potential).

Domaine Sainte Anne, Saint Gervais, 'Les Mourillons', 2005
Time to check in on these. Freshness with structure. Dark plum and black cherry, good structure for further aging and decent acidity, and drinking well now. Pop 'em if you have 'em. Slight bit of black pepper on the finish. What more can one want in a $20 syrah? 13.5% A-

Couly-Duteil, Chinon, 'la Digigence', 2011
Deep and dark fruited, blackberry and some earth and tobacco come through. A big wine at 14.5%, but you could do worse at near $20. Still tastes like cabernet franc, but in a heavier more modern vein. B+
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Old or young...

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:20 pm

I really like the 2000 du Tetre, but I would never expect it to be your cup of Bordeaux.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I really like the 2000 du Tetre, but I would never expect it to be your cup of Bordeaux.

Comme quoi par exemple?

Like to know what your definition of "my Bordeaux" is... kind of rude to assume.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Really? You're offended that I would not expect you to enjoy a Bordeaux that uses a great deal of new oak? Perhaps I read your notes more closely than you do.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Really? You're offended that I would not expect you to enjoy a Bordeaux that uses a great deal of new oak? Perhaps I read your notes more closely than you do.

Oh, the new oak part. I was thinking you somehow knew my stylistic preferences, which sometimes I can't even suss out. With this wine I was surprised that after 14 years the hasn't integrated better. But as the wine opened in the glass, I was getting a little more fruit out of it so, in the end, it might ride it out. It is definitely still on the young side.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Mark S wrote:Couly-Duteil, Chinon, 'la Digigence', 2011
Deep and dark fruited, blackberry and some earth and tobacco come through. A big wine at 14.5%, but you could do worse at near $20. Still tastes like cabernet franc, but in a heavier more modern vein. B+

Couly-Dutheil's wines do tend toward the riper side of Chinon; no doubt; but i can't complain; almost everything that I've had from them have been enjoyable. I suppose their regular white Chinon is just o.k.(the Blanc de Franc, which is considerably more interesting).

Thank you for the notes, Mark.