The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pomerol, Chile, CDP, Tokaji, Barossa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Pomerol, Chile, CDP, Tokaji, Barossa

by Jay Labrador » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Dinner at Chef Jessie's.

I tried to post pictures of these but I keep getting this message: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Odd, as I've posted pictures before without any trouble and I can post pictures to our local Philippines wine forum. Anyway, here are the notes.

Chateau La Providence (Pomerol) 1970 - Bought from a guy who put out an ad trying to sell his wine collection. I didn't really want to buy this but he practically begged me to buy it. He let me have it for about $ 12.00. Good thing! Bottle condition looked good with wine level at the bottom of the neck. Remarkable for a wine so old. Cork was a little spongy and broke towards the bottom. Touch of caramel and still a bit of fruit on the nose. Gradually, mushroom and dried herb took over. Slightly cheesy on the finish but there was a gentle sweet note throughout. Soft but still has good structure. Definitely very much alive. If this were served blind I probably would have guessed Bordeaux from the late 80s. Acidity gradually taking over after 30 minutes. Lovely wine.

Domaine Font de Michelle Cuvée Etienne Gonnet Chateauneuf du Pape 1998 - Quite sweet. Plum jam and black cherry. Some dried herb and dark roast coffee as well. Soft tannins. Could probably age a few more years before hitting peak but seems close to it. Excellent.

Grant Burge Meshach 1999 - Sweet, soft, and minty. Too oaky for my taste but not bad.

Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta 2005 - Jammy. Some smoked meat. Already soft with very ripe fruit. Still primary. Could probably use a little more time.

Kiralyudvar Tokaji Cuvée Ilona 2002 - A rather lightish Tokaji. Burnt sugar and honey. Candied pineapple and dried mango. Creamy mouthfeel with some good acidity on the finish to balance the sweetness.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pomerol, Chile, CDP, Tokaji, Barossa

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Nice!

Thanks for the notes. Missed you.
Decisions are made by those who show up