The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: AnneAmie CuveeA Muller-Thurgau '12..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: AnneAmie CuveeA Muller-Thurgau '12..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Tried this over the weekend w/ apps:
1. AnneAmieVnyds CuveeA Muller-Thurgau Estate/Yamhill-Carlton (Planted in 1979; 12.6%; www.AnneAmie.com) 2012: Lots of tiny bubbles on the glass; fresh/appley/Wrigley's chewing gum/mint/floral bit metallic/mineral/valve oil rather fragrant nose; off-dry tart/crisp/bit spritz clean/metallic/appley/mineral flavor; long spritzy/crisp/sprightly/appley/floral/mango off-dry finish; a clean/crisp/metallic M-T but lacks the depth of most German M-T's; a bit simple but quite nice for the price. $17.00 (SFW&S)
1. It was quite clear when I poured this wine that it'd been "refreshed" w/ CO2. This is a technique that the wine has added CO2 just before bottling and give it a freshness and sense of acidity on the palate. I find such wines have sort of a fake acidity and not the tangy acidity w/ depth of highly acid wines. It give to me a bit of a vapid character on the palate to me. That was certainly the case w/ this M-T.
Tom
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: AnneAmie CuveeA Muller-Thurgau '12..(short/boring)

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 pm

How do you know the CO2 was added? Sometimes, if the wine is handled gently and kept cool, residual CO2 from fermentation can survive through to bottling, leaving the wine with a spritz. I've done this a couple of times. I've also had malo-lactic fermentation take off in the bottle producing CO2, but that's not a good thing.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

I Don't..

by TomHill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Howie Hart wrote:How do you know the CO2 was added? Sometimes, if the wine is handled gently and kept cool, residual CO2 from fermentation can survive through to bottling, leaving the wine with a spritz. I've done this a couple of times. I've also had malo-lactic fermentation take off in the bottle producing CO2, but that's not a good thing.

I don't know that it was added, Howie. Just sort of assumed that since it's a technique that's used often for some wines.
The interior of the glass was coated in small bubbles that vanished w/ the first swirl. So it appeared to me the
CO2 wasn't very tightly dissolved in the wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: AnneAmie CuveeA Muller-Thurgau '12..(short/boring)

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:07 am

Yes. Hard to tell and an interesting topic. My belief is that filtering makes a difference in the bubbles. For instance, the bubbles in a Charmant bulk bubbly seem larger and dissipate more quickly than those made using the Champagne method. I think this has to do with the Champagne method wine being unfiltered. As clear as the wine may be, there would still be a number of very tiny particles that could provide some sort of stability for the CO2. I may full of it, but it seems to make sense to me.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.