The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nice wellpriced wines (Greater Brgndy, Calabria, Veneto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Nice wellpriced wines (Greater Brgndy, Calabria, Veneto

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Thursday I was in charge of dinner - grilled salmon in a citrus/herb marinade & corn, collards, and spaghetti squash with tomatoes and capers. Wine was the 2013 Brun/Terres Dorees Rose de Folie. Fresh, dry, light bodied with raspberry fruit. B

Friday I parboiled then grilled 2 lobsters, with grilled squash & eggplant, with a salad on the side. The 2007 Brocard “Vaillons” Chablis 1er cru was a nice crisp wine, but there was a faint edge of oxidation on the horizon. Lemon, rocks, green apples, good underlying acids, but I get the feeling that PremOx is about to whack this down. B+ for now

Saturday Betsy made greek-style meatballs, in a spicy tomato sauce on orzo and topped with feta. Wine was the 2008 A Vita “F36 P27” Ciro Classico. No idea what that alphanumerical designation means. Red fruited, ripe flavors but good acids, no apparent oak, some tannin, gets quite floral (violets and rose petal) with some air. Good value B+/B

When Betsy got back from a concert I greeted her with the NV Serata Prosecco. This is lightly bubbly (regular cork without a cage). Appley, light, just a little sweetness, nothing complex here but a nice apertif at a nice price. B/B-

I had marinaded some duck in a soy/ginger/lime mix, grilled to medium rare, served with shiso rice, a salad, corn, & zucchini. The 2006 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune is in a really nice place- right from opening there’s sweet red fruit, some cocoa, earth. With air it fleshes out and is even more giving- bright cherry fruit framed by good acids and light tannins, with some autumn leaves, mushrooms, earthy notes. Tasty! B++
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Roberto Vigna

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Torino, Italia

Re: WTN: Nice wellpriced wines (Greater Brgndy, Campania, Veneto

by Roberto Vigna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 am

Hi Dale

Cirò is from Calabria, not Campania.

This wine comes from the Cirò Marina village and the name mimics the village land cadastre where the vineyard is: Foglio 36 Particella 27 (Sheet 36 Particle 27).

Roberto.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Nice wellpriced wines (Greater Brgndy, Calabria, Veneto

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:29 am

Thanks Roberto - I knew Calabria, just a brainfart while typing subject, I've corrected
Thanks for info re nomenclature.