The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin OldVines '88...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin OldVines '88...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:57 pm

Tried this last night w/ low expectations:
1. DryCreekVnyd Zin OldVines DryCreekVlly (12.7%; 17% PS; Drk: '89-'99: DS) Healdsburg 1988: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; rather cedary/pencilly/oldZin somewhat spicy/blackberry/Zin/licorice/DrPepper some dusty/OV/earthy light Am.oak/vanilla complex nose; somewhat tart quite cedary/pencilly/oldZin spicy/blackberry/Zin/licorice/pungent some vanilla/Am.oak classic DCVlly Zin w/ light/smooth tannins; med.long bit tart/tangy some blackberry/Zin/raspberry/spicy light Am.oak/vanilla bit licorice/DrPepper/pungent complex finish w/ light/drying tannins; starting to dry out a bit but still plenty of spicy/blackberry/Zin fruit. $10.00
1. Thought sure this would be pretty much shot. It was not. Still had plenty of fruit in there. Presumably this was a blend of Sommers and Beeson fruit. They were not doing vnyd-designate Zins yet; that came later.
2. I have, of course, followed DCV from the very start w/ DaveStare's '72 Gamay; one of the prettiest Gamays I can recall from Calif. His first Zin was a '73, put up in a Burgundy btl as I recall. I remember being profoundly disappointed by the wine. It was bright/zesty/drinkable and classic DryCreekVlly Zin w/ lots of raspberry fruit. However, this was back in the days (by crackey) when power/extract/alcohol/black color was the hallmark for great Calif Zins. I expect, now, that I'd have appreciated Dave's first Zin a whole lot more.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin OldVines '88...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:56 pm

The '72 "Gamay" was, in fact "Gamay Beaujolais," the infamous clone of Pinot Noir. It was even labeled Gamay Beaujolais. So, not a Gamay at all.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Right...

by TomHill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:The '72 "Gamay" was, in fact "Gamay Beaujolais," the infamous clone of Pinot Noir. It was even labeled Gamay Beaujolais. So, not a Gamay at all.

Right...GamayBeaujolais it was. I was just being sloppy, Steve. But it was quite a pretty wine.
Tom