The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Chambers St wins Jancis's "Best Independent Wine Shop"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Chambers St wins Jancis's "Best Independent Wine Shop"

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:33 pm

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Chambers St wins Jancis's "Best Independent Wine Shop"

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Great for them. Not sure how you can vet every independent wine shop though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 pm

As article says, contest was based on letters submitted by customers. part of a broader effort by Jancis to showcase quality independent merchants. It's certainly not intended to be a quantifiable "best", but it's nice to see a store recognized that does exemplify what the best sort of independent wine stores do- offer great personalized service, a passion for wine, and a "viewpoint."
I'll also note that since I posted this, CSW sent out a note about it. David and Jamie (owners) credited the staff. But I thought it was classy that besides listing current staff (from stock to sales) that they thanked a dozen + former employees.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Will have to read the article once I stop dodging bears and wolverines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 am

You back in Alberta David?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 pm

My one visit to CSW was a negative experience. I was tired and found the store crowded and no place to sit and I was ignored as far as any salesperson offering help. In my mind I was comparing it to Burgundy Wine Company where I had partaken in a tasting of Lioco wines and had sat and looked through a small library of wine books and received personal help from the staff. I would be willing to try it again on another trip to NYC but I hope they don't focus only on their male customers.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:42 pm

JC (NC) wrote:My one visit to CSW was a negative experience. I was tired and found the store crowded and no place to sit and I was ignored as far as any salesperson offering help. In my mind I was comparing it to Burgundy Wine Company where I had partaken in a tasting of Lioco wines and had sat and looked through a small library of wine books and received personal help from the staff. I would be willing to try it again on another trip to NYC but I hope they don't focus only on their male customers.

I can't speak to the gender issues, although I haven't gotten that vibe there and there have been several women working at CSW over the years. It can get crowded during peak hours (i.e. 5-8pm on Fri and Sat) but is often quite relaxed during the day. And both in my experience and from how I have seen them treat others, they are usually very willing to talk through any issues and get you the right wines. You may have caught them at a time when they were flooded.

On the seating issue, I can see how that might be desirable but I think I've only seen that in one or two stores ever.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Seating is part of most wine retail shops in Raleigh it seems. Many of them conduct tastings at least weekly if not more often and have tables and chairs or bar stools for seated tastings. I've also seen that in Chapel Hill. Same with The Wine Cafe in Fayetteville. I can see that with the price of real estate by the square foot in NYC it might not be as common.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:04 am

JC (NC) wrote:Seating is part of most wine retail shops in Raleigh it seems... I can see that with the price of real estate by the square foot in NYC it might not be as common.

Makes sense, most of my exposure to wine shops is in high cost locations.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 am

Is this the store that Mr. Callahan works at?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Jane - it is worth another visit. I have received helpful service when I am there, but it is usually to pick up an order I placed on their website. They are cheerful and friendly and carry the box out to my car, and on Saturdays they have a small table set up with some wines to taste. I have no complaints, and while I once stopped into Burgundy Wine Co., I never purchased anything, but have bought plenty from Chambers St.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Jane, sorry re your experience, but don't think it's representative (other than lack of seating- but other than class space at Astor can't think if seating at any NY or even suburban retailer- I have bought wine from Burgundy Wine Co years ago but not in last decade) or gender-biased. It is a small space, but that;s Tribeca. CSW has probably has the highest % of female sales staff of anyplace I shop;

Tom, are you talking about Robert Callahan? I think he predated me on WLDG, but remember him from AFW in 90s. Think he worked for Garnet, not seen him in NY retail since. I don't think he has worked at CSW since I started buying there (they opened in 2001, I started buying there not long after).

Diane, when there was construction on Chambers St, I used to call as I got close, they had guys (cheerfully) handtruck out my orders to my car 2 blocks away.

This is obviously not a real "best." But I thought CSW was a deserving winner. As Steinberger wrote in his "greatest retailer in US" piece, CSW was THE trailblazer for a certain kind of passionate retailer (one could make same argunment re Kermit earlier, but more linked to a KL's import portfolio) that influenced a lot of great shops. I will say Chambers is probably only retailer where I buy wines over $20 solely on retailer writeup- and seldom regret. I buy more from Grapes (Posner) and Zachys, but that's more good prices on stuff available elsewhere.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:43 am

I don't think I've ever seen seating in any wine shop I've ever been in. There's certainly none around here that I'm aware of.

I take that back, DCanter (very new wine shop on 8th Street) has a tasting room set up. But that really is an outlier.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:01 am

I've never set foot in Chambers Street, but thanks to them, I've been able to try -- and enjoy! -- a plethora of wines from obscure regions and made from obscure grapes that never would have crossed my palate otherwise. The selection of wines they offer is amazing and they are always able to provide reliable suggestions and tips. In my experience, they're far more customer friendly than 98 percent of the shops I've actually walked into. And very careful with shipping, too. One of a kind.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm

I've never been inside myself, but ordered from them years ago when I lived in New York state, and wish that I could order from them now. Definitely will check it out if I'm ever in that section of Manhattan.