The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chinon and Chassagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chinon and Chassagne

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:26 pm

A couple of days without wine (salmon and quinoa, Japanese chicken curry), but Wednesday to accompany “London broil” (top round) in a peri-peri marinade, slaw, and sweet potato, opened the 2010 Baudry Grezeaux Chinon. Lovely showing. On the nose a little hint of barnyard, but plenty of black cherry and coffee.On palate the fruit is a snappier black raspberry, with (tasty) green notes. With air there’s more of a saddle leather profile. Nice acids, easy tannins, very long finish. Drinking beautifully but no hurry. A-

Last night haddock with roasted tomatoes and shallot, roasted parsnips/sunchokes, broccoli with black olives, and salad. Wine was the 2014 Fontaine-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet. Pear, hazelnut, lemon, vanilla bean. Some white flower notes on nose after a while, very good length. Quite fine village wine, though I wish the oak was just a little more subdued. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Chinon and Chassagne

by Jenise » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:52 pm

I know what you mean about the oak on the Fontaine Gagnard; I find there wines a little too oaky overall. However, I buy them for sentiment's sake: it was my epiphany wine and one of the most magical moments of dining in Paris on our honeymoon--back then, I didn't mind the oak.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 pm

Thanks for the Grezeaux check in.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:54 pm

I have some 2017 Baudry Les Granges but think it will be too young for awhile yet.....
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:52 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have some 2017 Baudry Les Granges but think it will be too young for awhile yet.....

Depends on your tastes. That is the 'entry-level' cuvee, and I would definitely have no problems drinking it soon.

But I guess if you're a fan of aged flavors, it should hold for you.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:00 pm

Jenise, totally understand epiphany wines. I'm far more forgiving of Ch. Gloria than other St. Juliens.

Like Rahsaan, I don't usually age the Granges- it's the youngest vines, down by river, and they expect it to be consumed young (a lot apparently goes to bistros). But I've accidentally lost a bottle for 5-6 years and it did fine. I think the Domaine bottling benefits from a few years, and the Grezeaux, Clos Guillot, and Croix Boissee basically demand some age , like serious claret.