The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Itsa Miracle....Mosel Auslese '76....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Itsa Miracle....Mosel Auslese '76....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:15 pm

Tried this Mosel w/ Stacey & David ystrday afternoon:
1. Maximilian v.Othegraven Riesling Kanzemer Altenberg Auslese (10%; Fuder 9; QmP Auslese; EA; A.P.Nr. 3 518 034-9-77) Weingut Kanzemer Berg/Saar 1976: Deep brown/sherry/light PX color; strong old Auslese/slight oxidative some pencilly/cedary some botrytis/apricotty old German Auslese quite complex very interesting/attractive nose; soft quite sweet very rich/lush strong apricotty/botrytis/peachy slight oxidative fairly classic old German Auslese no Mosel valve oil/petrol very ripe/grapey/bit raisened very complex lovely/interesting flavor w/ no signs of oxidation; very long/lingering quite sweet finish mirrors flavor; not a classic/textbook old Auslese & the O2 probably robbed it some of its intensity & complexity but clearly an old Auslese and in amazingly good condition for its circumstances.
We all know the importance of storing a wine on its side to keep the cork moist and O2 away from the wine. That's what all the "wine authorities" tell us. Well... maybe these authorities are not all that wise.
Last week, Stacey was digging in her deceased Dad's cellar and came across this btl of old German Riesling Auslese. There was a ton of leaked gunk on the rack underneath the btl and a ton of leaked gunk down the side of the btl. The holes in the lead capsule were all stoppered with gunk. She pulled it out and...say whot??... the cork had dropped down into the wine and about a fourth of the wine had leaked away. Ullaged well down onto the shoulder. It had been stored in her Dad's cellar like this for over 40 yrs, but no telling how long in this circumstances. Based on what she knew from the "authorities", she tossed the btl into the trash.
When Stacey related this disaster to me, I soundly scolded her for tossing it. "It may still be good" I lectured her. So she rescued it from the trash and we tried it this afternoon. It was a deep brown color of an oxidized wine, like a light PedroXimenez. But it was an absolutely delicious example of an old German Auslese, quite sweet, bit raisened, strong botrytis, very complex, no signs of oxidation other than the brown color. Who'd have thunk? Clearly, this was not a top-form old Auslese. The only thing protecting this wine was the lead capsule, which was in contact with the wine until it had ullaged away enough to no longer be in contact. And there was a lot of gunk on the inside of the capsule so the lead was probably not in contact w/ the wine for all that long. Probably, like an olde Sauternes, the high RS acted as a protection against oxidation.
Over the yrs, I've resurrected a handful of btls, stored standing upright, where the corks have dried-out & dropped down into the wine. And a few that had been stored on their sides. These wines, invariably, have not been totally shot, in much better condition than the circumstances warrant, none terribly oxidized, some just oldWine in character, and none, absolutely none, turned to vinegar
So the next time some "wine authority" tells you something with great authority... realize that they may not be such an authority as they claim... that they may be FoS. When they tell you an old wine turns to vinegar... I can guarantee you they don't know jack-$hit. Trust me on this one!!
So that's my story & I'm sticking to it.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Itsa Miracle....Mosel Auslese '76....(short/boring)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm

I've never thought anyone thinks wine turns to vinegar without the presence of acetobacter.
Sounds like you should just remove all your corks now, if invariably doesn't lead to oxidation.
Personally prefer my corks intact. Did have a 59 Coteaux du Layon where cork fell in recently. Nose was dank and oxidized, but to me palate at least interesting- sweet, caramelly, maple syrup, apricot jam. Like if you mixed a Loire moelleux with a PX sherry.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I've never thought anyone thinks wine turns to vinegar without the presence of acetobacter.

The wine literature is replete w/ references to an old wine turning to vinegar and useful for only salad dressing.
It turns to oxidized old wine, but that's not vinegar. And makes a terrible salad dressing.
You have to have acetobacter present to make vinegar.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:14 pm

Had a similar experience with a '59 Auslese just two weeks ago. Haven't written it up yet, but it had been standing up in my laundry room hidden by cleaning supplies for at least 13 years. Ullage down 25 or close to 30%. But it was still alive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:44 pm

Auslese, especially if it has high levels of botrytis, is nigh on indestructible.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Auslese, especially if it has high levels of botrytis, is nigh on indestructible.

And 1976 was an exceptionally ripe year with exceptionally high botrytis levels. A lot of the Auslesen made that year met the qualifications to be Beerenauslesen.

-Paul W.