The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: ESJ check-in

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: ESJ check-in

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:43 pm

2012 ESJ Fenaughty Syrah
So damn good. Ripe resolved ESJ-liqueur, all that sunny CA fruit, but not heavy or thick. Just silky sunny and elegant, and slides down the throat so easily. I think I have one more bottle and have been judiciously deciding who to open it with.

2013 ESJ North Canyon Road Syrah
Certainly ripe (compared to my usual sour European red wines), but more focused fresher and brighter than the 2012, and much less evolved. With air it opens nicely and does well with dinner (maitake, olive and tomato sauce pizza). Certainly no chore to enjoy this wine, but never gushing gorgeousness like the 2012. Will hold the rest for a bit.

2005 ESJ Bassetti Syrah
An old favorite, holding well. Over the years I've had different faces from different bottles, this one shows more on the dark meaty minty side, plenty of structure, but also plenty of fruit and body. As we know, a very different interpretation than Fenaughty land. Very convincing when served to friends who live in Southern France and have those palates. Delicious and happy to have more.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: ESJ check-in

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:52 pm

Somehow I missed out on that 2012. Not sure how. Still have a bunch of the 2013 and several of the 2005. I should check in on more than a few of the bottlings I have on hand.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:04 am

For those who missed the 05 Bassetti, I was just informed that Leon and Son has some for the cool price of $400. A bunch of other library releases as well. Seems the Collector Class is catching on to what we've known for a long time...

https://leonandsonwine.com/products/2005-edmunds-st-john-bassetti-vineyard-syrah-san-luis-obispo-county-usa?_pos=4&_psq=Edmunds&_ss=e&_v=1.0
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:03 am

Interesting and disturbing at the same time.

That said, the two times I have sold wine (to buy some other frivolous toy...) I have been asked, and in one case multiple times, if I would be willing to part with a substantial quantity of my ESJ holdings. I said no both time, but if prices like that become the norm I might have to reconsider funding some other fun pursuit! :lol:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:28 am

Well, an ambitious retail ask is not an actual market. But glad Steve is getting that kind of respect.
I think I have one bottle left of the '03 and '05, but reserved for the Basset's annual birthday party (Rahsaan and David can come), :)
I also only have one or two left of the '12 Fenaughty and the '13 Canyon Road (Fenaughty and Barsotti I think). Have more of the '14 Barsotti, has anyone tasted recently? Though I have 6+, don't want to waste one if really shut down.