The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two DryCreekVlly Reds....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two DryCreekVlly Reds....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:33 pm

Had these two red this week at Pig+Fig:
1. Preston Farm & Wnry Syrah DryCreekVlly (13.2%; www.PrestonFarmAndWinery.com) Healdsburg 2022: Darkcolor; strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah rather DCV/raspberry/spicy slight toasty/oak/pencilly straightforward Syrah nose a bit on the simple side; bit soft some Syrah/spicy/blueberry/blackberry light pencilly/Am.oak simple pleasant flavor w/ light tannins; a pleasant enough Syrah in the simple Preston style but not very interesting.
$nc (Stoled)
2. Unti LaCrima DryCreekVlly (13.2%; www.UntiVineyards.com; 85 cs) Healdsburg NV ('12/'13/'14): Dark color w/ some bricking; some earthy/dusty strong LaCrima/boysenberry/licorice/plummy bit toasty/oak some cedary/pencilly/oldRed bit rustic/Italianate some complex nose; soft strong blackberry/plummy/licorice rather rustic/LaCrima bit earthy/dusty/slight loamy quite rich/lush/ripe bit cedary/pencilly/oldRed quite interesting flavor w/ light ripe/smooth tannins; very long/lingering smooth/ripe finish that mirrors flavor; very much speaks of Marche LaCrima but not quite as earthy/rustic; quite an interesting red that's not going to get any better.
1. LouPreston was one of the first folks in the DryCreekVlly to have an interest in Rhone varieties. When he first started making wines back in the late '70's; the wines were pretty big & extracted & I loved them. He made a dynamite PetiteSirah. And then he started making a Sirah/Syrah blend that was quite good. But then his style started to lighten up and the Preston style became light/pleasant wines but just that. Last time I visited, I found all his wines to be rather on the boring side. By far, the highlight of the visit was the bread from his wood-fired oven.
2. LaCrima: They were, because of their interest in Italian varietals, were the first ones to plant LaCrima & produce it. They had only two short rows of it, so their production was quite limited. So they blended together the first 3 vintages to have enough to sell. Alas, the vines were badly virus-infected & the production dropped to zero & they pulled the vines.
Which is a shame because LaCrima makes an outstanding red in the LeMarche in Italy. I don't belive anyone in Calif is curretly producing it. Whatta shame.
Tom