The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2015 Auslese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2015 Auslese

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 am

I rarely get motivated to open the off-dry wines anymore, let alone the ones that say Auslese. But both of these are pretty digestible for Auslese, less sweet then some of the big Middle Mosel Spätlese wines, and worked very well with dinner. I suppose some would age further, but these were harmonious enough for me to enjoy!

2015 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Auslese
Typical clear Falkenstein jewel, lacy and refreshing. Opens up nicely with air to show gorgeous orange Riesling cream that reminds you it’s an Auslese. But always with dazzling mineral intensity and racy herbal citrus Saar notes. Much more harmonious than a bottle from last year, and I wouldn’t hesitate to open my last bottle soon.

2015 Ludes Thörnicher Ritsch Riesling Auslese Alte Reben
In my mind, a kindred spirit to Falkenstein, but definitely richer and different terroir. Yet, still plenty lively and crunchy by Mosel Auslese standards. Plenty of seductive sweet citrus cream, more golden and less ethereal than the Falkenstein, but the sharp mineral cut and verdant shade elements keep my palate happy.

No need to choose, both expressions are great!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2015 Auslese

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:42 am

Nice! What was dinner?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:01 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Nice! What was dinner?

The Falkenstein was with steelhead trout in an ever-so-slightly-spicy miso sauce, purple barley, and some kind of sauteed green, perhaps a watermelon radish salad. It was last week, memory hazy, but I noted that it matched well!

The Ludes was with cod loin in a mustard sauce, purple barley (with onions and mustard seeds), and sauteed crimini and broccoli greens, also a great match!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:50 pm

Yum
Decisions are made by those who show up