The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Place your Betz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Place your Betz

by Jenise » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:31 am

Went to a winemaker dinner showing Betz Family Wines last night. Betz winery was opened in 2005 by Bob Betz who had spent the prior 20 years at Chateau Ste. Michelle. He was also this state's second MW with a taste for European wines and it shows in the line-up. Though he sold the winery to a South African couple a few years back, he still consults the wines reflect his dialed-back preferences. For instance, by design, none of their wines exceed 14% alcohol. I know of no other Washington winery that puts a limit on it like that.

2021 Betz Family Syrah La Serenne Yakima Valley
Boushey Vineyard fruit. Tart dark cherry, pepper, black oil-cured olives, baked ham and sage. Sees 75% new French Oak and 25% used. Seemed kind of reluctant--it had been opened, but not decanted, about three hours before service. Not enough time IMO to show at its best. $68

2021 Betz Family Syrah Domaine de Pierres Walla Walla Valley
Rocks fruit from Milton Freewater. The label attributes it to Walla Walla Valley but I presume that's because the other AVA had not yet been approved. Anyway, medium-plus body and savory in style it shows minerally red and black fruit, pepper, bacon and mild green olive tapenade typical of The Rocks, but not as funky as some. 100% whole cluster fermentation complexity; 75% new French Oak and 25% neutral. Preferred this over the La Serenne. $68.

2021 Betz Family Bésoleil Columbia Valley Red Rhone Blend
60% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre and the rest counoise and maybe cinsault. Barely medium unfiltered red in the glass, offers muted red fruits, mushrooms and sagebrush. Excellent paired with a red wine/mushroom risotto. That said, lousy QPR at $52 compared to the quality of imported CdPs.

2022 Betz Family Rose Cache Red Rhone Blend
A blend with 40% Mourvedre as the majority grape. Harmonious opening of strawberry and fennel with a mango-ish tang, crisp dry finish. Lacks (thank god) the RS typical of so many WA roses, could pass for French. $28. I ordered a few bottles.

2019 Quinta Essentia Chenin Blanc Stellenbosch
Imported by the new South African owners. Had this at the same wine bar as the last bottle I TN'd but this was a much fresher bottle--more fruit, less petrol. Quince fruit with some lemon rind, excellent body and elegance. $49. Wish we had better access to more chenins like this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Place your Betz

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:09 pm

I was on the Betz list for a little while. The QPR is what sent me away. Still have a couple of cases of various wines, with the majority being Syrah.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Place your Betz

by Jenise » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:38 pm

I hear you. I ordered one bottle of the Pierres syrah and two of the rose, which I thought was stellar. Needed to order something to support this business but otherwise would have bought none simply because I've mostly stopped buying and these didn't hit at the level at which I'd consider making an exception. If I'm going to spend $70 for a syrah, then it's going to be Delmas (haven't lost my love for Reynvaan, it's just that I don't need more Reynvaan).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov