The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgs, C-Roties, Alsace, Austria, MSR, Alto Piedmonte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burgs, C-Roties, Alsace, Austria, MSR, Alto Piedmonte

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:59 pm

Manuel was in town and Brad rallied the troops to greet him. After some restaurant back and forth we ended up at Oohu near Herald Square, We ate heartily- cucumber with scallions, pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings, tripe and beef with chili oil, string beans, Singapore noodles, more. Lamb with cumin and crispy duck with ginger were good but Very hot. Only the Peking duck a bit disappointing. Surprise great dish was chicken with cashews

1964 Huet Sec Petillant
This can be a great wine, but not this bottle, Strong oxidative notes on nose, while much better on palate this was not what it can be. NR

2020 Alzinger Steinertal Gruner Veltliner Smaragd
Fresh peas, pear, citrus zest, soft mouthfeel and moderate acids. B/B+

1995 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile

While we’ve all experienced premox in mid 90s Trimbach, there ain't none here. Lovely bottle. Citrus, green apple and petrol, a saline edge on rocky finish, full and long. A-

2018 Bündlmayer Heiligenstein Alte Reben Riesling
So many 2018 Europeans are heavy/ripe, but this is focused and taut. Meyer lemon and pit fruits, a touch of ginger, some herbs on end. Crisp clean mineral finish. B+

2004 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett

Yes, Muller is WAY more expensive than anyone else, but sometimes it’s evident why. Really a stunning bottle of Kabinett, sprightly yet with a deep full core. Apples, orange peel, herbs, and just a little petrol, long lingering finish. A-/A

2008 von Schubert/Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Spatlese

This was a bit darker than expected, and maybe more mature than it should be, but I thought it was really in a lovely spot for drinking now. Grapefruit and mango, slatey, some light petrol notes, balanced sweetness. While a pristine bottle might be a bit younger, would it be as tasty? Others disagreed. B+

2018 Domaine L’Anglore Vejade
I think my first L’Anglore. Light color (I’ve had darker roses) Cranberry and cherry, herbs, with a spicy edge, Different, fun, and intriguing, B+/A-

2006 Rollin Île des Vergelesses Pernand Vergelesses “

This was a bit closed to me, but a really nice wine underneath. Earthy, with black cherry and spices, with some time open it showed a bit more, with anise and herbs. I originally was B, but on revisit B+ and getting better.

2013 Louis Boillot Pruliers Nuits St George
Tight and tannic at first, opens well with the tannins softening and copious black cherry fruit emerging, with smoke and undergrowth. B+
l
2001 Sella Lessona
CT says I still have a bottle of this, I doubt it’s true, but hope it is based on this bottle. Lovely , long, and elegant, with plenty of vigor left, fragrant red fruit, and a hint of tar on nose. A-/B+

2020 Gauthernon Clos du Chapitre Fixin
Rather ripe and fruit forward, pleasant enough. B-

1997 Ogier Cote Rotie
In a good spot, black raspberry fruit accented with bacon, coffee, and hazelnut, Ready to go, B+

1999 Jamet Cote Rotie
Young but wow. Black fruit, peppery spice, grilled gamebirds, smoke. Complex and long, A-/A

Fun night with good group.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Burgs, C-Roties, Alsace, Austria, MSR, Alto Piedmon

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:22 pm

Nice mix of wines. Sounds like a good dinner.

Dale Williams wrote:2004 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett
Yes, Muller is WAY more expensive than anyone else, but sometimes it’s evident why. Really a stunning bottle of Kabinett, sprightly yet with a deep full core. Apples, orange peel, herbs, and just a little petrol, long lingering finish. A-/A

Interesting distinction here, because when I taste Muller it's usually evident why it is so expensive, really a class of its own. BUT it still does not motivate me to pay the extra price, given how far off it is!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Burgs, C-Roties, Alsace, Austria, MSR, Alto Piedmon

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:01 pm

Well, I see why it's expensive, but I also don't really buy it. Only bottle I own is a lone 09 Kab (bought from Premier Cru!). Over years I've probably bought 6-8 bottles of QbA or Kab, but not in years.