The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Retirement Party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Retirement Party

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:20 pm

• 2005 Edmunds St. John Syrah Parmelee-Hill - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (3/27/2024)
    Happy retirement Steve!

This wine will outlive both of us, and I am a lot younger than you. It’s only now starting to maybe consider thinking about possibly, perhaps at some point turning the corner toward potentially maturing. There’s still so much dark fruit, but it’s not thick or glossy. Instead it’s dryly sweet, and showing just a touch of a creamy edge that creates a mid-palate richness that maybe, sort of, might just remind me of some of those Durell Syrahs that had so much depth and character. This wine isn’t there yet, and zi have no idea if or when it ever will be, but there’s a ton of potential that I can only hope I live long enough to see fulfilled.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

Re: WTN: Retirement Party

by Steve Edmunds » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 pm

It's interesting, the property that became Parmelee-Hill was originally part of the Property owned by Ed Durell, and managed by Steve Hill. Ed sold the portion of the acreage directly above the original planting, and extending south maybe 100 yards, to Steve Hill; it's on a rocky slope, whereas the original vines at Durell were on mostly flat ground with fairly deep soil. That lower acreage was on the hybrid rootstock, and developed Phylloxera, and there wasn't enough healthy budwood to use for a replant, and when vines went into the ground on the Parmelee-Hill acreage, only a very small portion was from that wood. "That wood" was apparently Serine, and it's what made the older Durell planting truly special, I believe.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm

Congratulations on retirement Steve!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 pm

Thanks for the details Steve!
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

by Steve Edmunds » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 pm

Thanks, David; The "retirement" decision was made due to events that had nothing to do with anything I could control. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in '20, a biopsy in '21 that called for treatment, surgery for that in '22, which was successful, but left me feeling little confidence that I'd have the stamina demanded for a harvest, so I didn't crush in '22. Then, just a year ago, Last March, Cornelia fell and broke her hip, and after surgery and a couple months in rehab, something went awry with the hardware from that surgery, and she had to have a second surgery last July. (It's only in the past few weeks that she's become reasonably mobile) At that point Didn't feel I could be unavailable to her for more than an hour or two at a time, so I made no wine in '23, either. I'll be 77 this August, and we've had next to nothing in sales the last two years, so it really makes no sense, at this point to think about doing it again. In addition, a month ago, Ron Mansfield, with whom I worked starting in 1988, my primary grower, died a month ago (He was 76, too) from Parkinson's. I think I was feeling like life was telling me something I needed to hear. I fell like I've been exceptionally lucky to have had the opportunity to find really special grapes, grown by really special people, and really special customers and fans that have made my last 40 years just about as good as they ever might have been for anyone. And it seems like some of the wines we put into bottle might be around longer than I will. Thanks to all.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 pm

Wow.

I’m glad things seem to be improving for you and Cornelia, but wow. Enjoy retirement.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 pm

What David said, Steve. Here’s hoping that 2024 and onward are a lot kinder to you and Cornelia.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:21 pm

Steve, lots of bad news there and I'm so sorry to hear it. But I think you have it right: time to take care of yourself and Cornelia.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov