The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Recent German wine tasting downtown.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Recent German wine tasting downtown.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:41 am

2013 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreicht Riesling halbtrocken.

First of 2 bottles I purchased in Calgary four yrs ago for only $30 Cda! SC, opened 2 hrs before pouring at a Cantonese dinner with the highlight of beef and broccoli. Light gold in color, lemony with slate and white stone fruits. Great mid-palate and a long long finish, drinking at its peak. The sweetness is totally in balance. A serious MSR wine as we all expected.

16 attendants, 8 wines served.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Recent German wine tasting downtown.

by Jenise » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:17 am

Welcome back!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Recent German wine tasting downtown.

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:02 am

Great note Bob.

The Zeltinger Himmelreich Halbtrocken is one of my top-three favorite Selbach wines, as it does a great job of showcasing the site, being very food friendly, and being a fantastic value. It's been nearly 20 vintages since David Schildknecht told me that I "have to buy the 2004 Himmelreich Halbtrocken," and I have bought probably 12-14 subsequent vintages. I only have a couple of bottles left as I just drink them up. They do age well if you can keep your hands off them, as your 2013 showed.

Speaking of aging well...I seem to have a bottle of the 2006 lurking around somewhere. Time to go spelunking.
Decisions are made by those who show up