The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A few days in France

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

A few days in France

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:37 pm

(not really TNs,. just impressions of a few of the many wines sampled)
So this year is 20th anniversary of my local non-serious (most people run to store day of tasting to buy wine) wine group. A truly great bunch of guys, and some of my best friends. So when Alex proposed a trip to France to celebrate, I said I’m in (my first vacation without Betsy in 23 years of marriage). I flew out Mon night, met Rob B at CDG Tuesday AM and then we took RERs through Paris and to Fontainebleau. Alex picked us up at station, and we headed to his family place in Samoreau. 9 cousins own the estate now, each with own house or apartment - Alex used his and his sister’s place to house us. Phenomenal setting.

By afternoon everyone was there, and the celebration started. Fred (chief planner and chef, and like Alex a French native) had made a great choucroute garnie.I didn’t care for the 2023 Christophe Auguste Aligote (sharp, thin) or a soft 2017 Weissenburg Pinot Gris, but liked an Alsace Riesling where I missed label and the 2018 Ch. D’ittenwiller Cremant d’Alsace (made by one of Alex’s cousins),. Fine beads, just a touch of RS, good persistence.

The next morning we piled into a van and headed to Sancerre (Alex’s place is 60-90 minutes from Sancerre, Chablis, Aube). A touristy but nice and informative visit at the Maison de Sancerre, then we went to Chavignol for lunch at Au p’tit Gouter. Highly recommended, cute menu place with a resident dog, they did however refuse to serve water (“it might rust you). I had trout/almond terrine , boudin noir, buttered leeks. Good pricing (US retail) on wines.

2022 Pierre Martin Sancerre

Crisp, snappy, classic. Green apple and tangerine with just a hint of gooseberry and white pepper. B+

2021 Pierre Martin Sancerre Rouge
Tart, crunchy fruit, not super long. B-

2021 Jolivet Sancerre Rouge
I haven’t had a Jolivet wine in years, and then only whites, but we had struck up a conversation with guy having lunch alone at next table, a 5th generation member of the family who was heading to US on sales trip this week. Glad we ordered- light but with more persistence than the Martin, bright cherry and raspberry, herbs. B

Then a visit to Domaine Henri Bourgeois. We started in rain looking at the hill of Mont Damnes, moved to shelter, came back as rain ended to watch a spectacular show of the cloud shadow fleeing across the famous hill. Then our guide (young, very nice, a recent viniculture grad who knew a lot about wine, less about Bourgeois) gave a nice tour and then tasting. We tasted the base (stainless steel) and upper end (barrel and amphora) from 3 types of soil- Argiles calcaires (Grande Reserve and Coteaux aux Valets) Kimmeridgiennes (Monts Damnes and Cotelin), and Silex (ES56 & D;Antan)) I ended up preferring the stainless steel in each case. The Monts Damnes was my fave. They also showed a sweet wine , the 2014 Vendagne de Novembres, which showed me why I never need to try another Sancerre area dessert wine (some others loved it).

Back in Samoreau dinner was actually in dining room at the actual chateau, but we just brought up charcuterie, cheese (compared a Meaux with 3 different local bries, Melun ended my fave), salad etc. Several forgettable wines, I also forgot one actually good Saumur blanc, the other wine I enjoyed was the 2020 Ermitage du Pic St. Loup Pic St. Loup Tour de Pierres. Pushing my ripeness preferences, but not overwhelming.

Next AM van to Burgundy, starting at Benoit Cantin in Irancy. No English here, but Alex and Fred were great translators. Benoit’s dad Bernard (87 and quite fun) told us about the estate and led tasting. I liked the ‘22 base Irancy (a little rustic, but honest) and the ‘21 La Grand Cote (smooth and bright), but my favorite wine was the ‘21 Cuvee Emeline, which had an exotic spicy topnote over a solid fruit base. I didn’t much care for the ‘20 Palotte, unsure if the vintage or the 10% Cesar. There was also a Ratafia - well done but not my thing. Benoit then came and gave us a tour of the winery and answered questions.

Lunch was at the Hostellerie des Clos in Chablis (I had good escargot and excellent sea bream). Fred handed me the huge wine list. Actually quite well priced, and I saw some good Chablis in our price range (Savary for 32 euros, etc). But I also saw some geeky wines that were fine values by US standards but more than I think Fred had budgeted (he did an estimate of all expenses -food, van/driver, etc- before we left US, we all paid, and afterwards we did final accounting- I paid another $27, pretty good estimate). I ended up asking for the wine to be on a separate check- my gift to group. 2017 V. Dauvissat Forest Chablis 1er for 220 euros for a mag (basically low retail for a 750 in US now). Lovely, long, and classic. Green apple, grapefruit, oystershell and just a hint of oak. Great acids, long mineral finish. A-/A

Then to Domaine Clotilde Davenne, where her son gave the tour. Great vistas, fun visit. I liked the 22 Aligote, but didn’t care for dull ‘22 St Bris. Then really liked a mag of 2012 St Bris VV. (fresh but with petrol and rocks). A Petit Chablis was surprisingly grassy, not for me. 22 Chablis was serviceable, liked a ‘21 Mont de Mileau that was full but with good verve. Cremant was ok, Irancy was chewy and tannic.

That night Fred made lamb stew, and we enjoyed a bottle of 2004 Cheval Blanc that Alex had rescued when his parents moved back to Paris. This didn’t have the power I associate with Cheval Blanc in top vintages, but it was elegant and refined. Black raspberry and cherry, espresso, some light earthy mushroom Silky texture. B+/A-

And on a 20th anniversary of a wine group, drinking Cheval Blanc, what else to do other than watch Sideways together (which I hadn’t seen since release 20 years ago). Good fun.

Friday we headed to the Aube, to the village of Montgueux (closest part of Champagne to our base). We visited Olivier Lassaigne, where Olivier’s wife (whose name I have misplaced) gave an excellent tour. I loved she was “selling “the current vintages, telling us the problems the heat has caused - “we can’t get enough acid.” Really an honest look at a small grower’s situation. She is the Montgueux rep with the INAO, she talked about difficulties of being southermost/warmest area trying to get INAO permission to start harvest earlier. The tasting was fun, I particularly enjoyed the Reserve BdB (NV that spent extra year before disgorgement) and the Saignee rose.

Then lunch at Pierre & Clement in Troyes. When in Troyes must have the andouillettede Troyes (I enjoyed it). Wine was the 2020 Borgnat “Tete de Cuvee” Bourgogne Coulanges -la-Vineuse. New appellation to me, apparently west of Irancy. Crunch raspberry and cherry, a bit of tannic structure, floral notes. I enjoyed (a bit to my snobbish surprise). B

Then a final dinner at Le Petit Cedre in Vulaines sur Seine, near our homebase. Really wonderful meal, I had salad with avocado and crayfish in a light sauce and then veal. I also sampled others terrine de foie gras, veal kidneys, and duck, all excellent. We just did pichets of Chablis and Irancy, perfectly serviceable.

One last breakfast (I had collected the eggs from coop night before) and then back to RER to CDG. Really had a blast. And best part was I liked all the guys even more than when we started!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: A few days in France

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:43 pm

Sounds like a lot of good fun.

Dauvissat pricing just kills me. I have some 2014s, and they were basically cheap! Sigh.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:44 pm

What a neat trip and great telling of the tale, made me smile a lot. And for once I've actually been somewhere you were, the Hostellerie in Chablis.

How lucky you are to have friends with an estate in France.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:07 pm

Dale Williams wrote:his family place in Samoreau. 9 cousins own the estate now, each with own house or apartment - Alex used his and his sister’s place to house us. Phenomenal setting..60-90 minutes from Sancerre, Chablis, Aube)..

Great!!
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:55 pm

Sounds like a wonderful, whirlwind tour!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:47 pm

The one thing I didn't mention much was weather. It poured week before we were there, we had mostly clouds and drizzle. Alex was worried that the Seine might flood, Unsure if pics will show, but first pic in mini album was first day, beach by estate was flooded, and it got much higher, The river road in one direction (Champagne sur Seine) was closed, though road to Samoreau stayed open. But if they open locks to try to save Paris for flooding, area between his house and Seine goes underwater.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f78nte ... Tq7JHorHPQ

Yes, David, last time I was in Paris (2 years ago, before Alex's daughter's wedding) also took advantage of French restaurant pricing- 14 Dauvissat for 70 euros (dollar was at par). Here my Dauvissant days are behind me. BTW, the Hostellerie (beautiful dining room Jenise!) also had '18 Raveneau for 80 euros, I was scared off by vintage, but then saw Gilman (no fan of overripeness) gave a 86+, I should have gotten that!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 pm

Well I have three bottles left. Hope to share one with you and Betsy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:35 pm

Dale Williams wrote:The one thing I didn't mention much was weather.

Or the cheese? Sounds like you were in prime chevre country. So much more vivid than here in the US.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:11 am

Great report, sounds like a dream trip.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:02 pm

Best chevre of the trip was at Le P'tit Gouter in Chavignol,. the crottin was made by restaurant owner's brother, a 5th generation cheesmaker. Also had aged and young crottin de Chavignol at Bourgeois, and a local (Samoreau/Fontainebleu area) goat cheese at "home" . Plus Brie de Meaux, Brie de Melun (most local to us), and Brie de Montereau, all excellent, and an aged Brie I didn't care for.

I'm not really a big breakfast person, but every day with had fresh croissants from village bakery and a soft boiled egg from the coop 75 meters outside front door. I can live with that.

I also didn't mention that the old city in Troyes is quite beautiful.