The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: A Brace of Chateauneufs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: A Brace of Chateauneufs

by Bill Spohn » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:41 pm

Went to a special dinner at a small local restaurant that has a BYOB policy, and chose to go with Rhone. I opened a first bottle and was unhappy with it so opened a second and took it with us.

1994 Domaine Font de Michelle Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Etienne Gonnet - pale garnet colour and lacking fruit in the nose, tasted and it was thin so set it aside. Came back several hours later and it had developed into a decent imposter of a Burgundy - decent fruit, soft finish and a bit of funk in the nose. Obviously near the end of useful life, but pleasant.

1994 Les Cailloux Châteauneuf-du-Pape - similar colour, some fading at the edges and with a nose of faintly spiced forest floor and mature sweet fruit. Lasted well in the glass - quit enjoyable.

Both had been bought on release. 1994 was the first decent vintage since 1990, and while nowhere as good as the 995s, they provided some welcome relief for CNduP fans. I drank most of mine early on but have only a half dozen bottles left that I intend to drink in the near term. Both of these had more stuffing than I had thought they might.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: A Brace of Chateauneufs

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:29 am

Thirty years is a big ask for all but the best 1994 CNdP.
Decisions are made by those who show up