The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burg, Loire, Provence, Rhone, CA, Veneto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burg, Loire, Provence, Rhone, CA, Veneto

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:35 pm

Tuesday assorted leftovers (duck breast, asparagus salad, hakurei greens, potatoes)
2011 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune
Needs some air to get going, black cherry and raspberry, some earthy/smoky notes, good length. Nice for level. B/B+

Wednesday Niku udon (Japanese beef noodle stew)
2019 Guion Cuvee Authentique Bourgueil
Nomenclature confuses me, but thing this is the new Prestige. Quite approachable with easy tannins, crunchy Cab Franc fruit, some cedar and pine green notes (that I find pleasant). Bright, zippy, and a good match with the sweet/spicy beef. B++

Thursday as 1989 dinner already reported, then Friday coconut rice with shrimp and corn
2021 Pieropan Calvarino Soave Classico
Pit fruits and citrus zest, wax, quite fresh and long with a saline edge to the finish, B+/A-

Saturday shucked some oysters, then grey sole meuniere, spinach malfade with amatriciana bianco, broccoli rabe
2019 Roulot Bourgogne Blanc
Rich with pear and hint of butterscotch, full but with nice acidic backbone. I like a lot, and it could easily pass for Puligny (though I think more sourced near Meursault),but of couse it costs more than most Puligny village wines. B+ but not a value at current retail pricing (I got at a good discount though)

Friends were heading to Spain Monday, so they hosted a premature Seder Sunday. As it wasn’t really Passover they skipped the soup and brisket. Lamb stew, potatoes, harissa carrots, kale salad, and of course matzoh
2021 Ridge Grenache Blanc
A bit oily in texture, sweet melon and honey, interesting and popular but not really my style. B-/C+

2011 Ch. de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape

I was a little wary as this was 14.5 abv but it held it well. Black cherry and blackberry, some herbs, good dose of anise/licorice. Not superlong. B/B+

2007 Pradeaux X 10 Ans d’Elevage Bandol
Wild and wooly, still pretty tannic, more interesting than delicious. B

Fun week. No wine last night with tuna steaks and pasta.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Burg, Loire, Provence, Rhone, CA, Veneto

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 pm

I have never had the Pieropan, and between your note and Jim Cowan’s relentless praise I really think I need to.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Burg, Loire, Provence, Rhone, CA, Veneto

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:29 pm

One of my favorite Italian whites. I also like the straight Soave, usually a good deal. Their Rocca is impressive, but a little woody for me