ShangChai closed

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

ShangChai closed

Postby Trevor F » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm

First time in nearly a year that I've posted.

Is ShangChai a Brooklyn institution ? It's now closed . Read http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/short ... sic-closes
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Re: ShangChai closed

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Welcome back Trevor!

Looks like it was. Too bad I never had a chance to check it out.

On a different note Trevor, I realize that none of us all here will ever replace Rogov but nevertheless, we still love to discuss wine and food, even more so when it's Israeli and/or kosher. So now that you're back please stay with us! 8)

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: ShangChai closed

Postby Shlomo R » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 am

Shang Chai definitely was something of a Brooklyn institution. They were around for a long, long time, and many family parties were held there over the years. In my opinion, they definitely made the best hot-and-sour soup around. I outgrew (in terms of years, not waistline thankfully) the charm of the buffet night quite some time ago. But despite the fact that much of my personal patronage had shifted to other venues, I am sorry to see them go, in part because there really are no other kosher restaurants around with as large a space, and in part because their location marks a point on a frequent route home and soon the iconic image will no longer be there.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner