Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tomato Risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

RCP: Tomato Risotto

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:54 pm

No "RCP" because as usual for me, this is more an outline than a step-by-step. I made this last night and was astonished at how good it was. This is slightly more involved than usual (uses two sautee pans), but the payoff is a great blend of textures and very, very vivid flavor.

Now a warning. This dish can ONLY be made when there are ripe, sweet, juicy, fresh tomatoes available. Try to use stuff from a can or grocery store cardboard tomatoes and this will be AWFUL.

Take a couple of big red tomatoes (I used some heirlooms) and a couple of smaller, darker tomatoes (I used some dark green and dark red striped jobs) and remove the stems, cut a small cross in the bottom, then plunge in boiling water for 10-20 seconds. Then remove the tomatoes with tongs and put them into an ice water bath for 20 seconds. Remove from the bath, then peel, seed, and cube. (There's nothing magic about this mix, mix what you can find to get a color and flavor you like)

Bring 5 or 6 cups of a good hearty vegetable bouillon to the simmer. Dice 3-4 fat shallots. Put a generous knob of butter into a big, wide-bottomed sautee pan and heat until the butter starts to foam and sizzle. Add the shallots and stir. In a separate sautee pan, heat some more butter, then add one cup of carnaroli rice. Stir to coat and cook with occasional stirring until the rice starts looking transparent with a small white core.

While the rice is cooking, crush and finely mince two or three cloves of garlic. Add them to the frying shallots and stir. Cook for 20-30 seconds until you can smell the garlic, then add the cubed tomatoes and salt (don't be afraid of it, tomatoes eat up salt, but keep in mind the relative saltiness of your bouillon). Stir in the rice from the other sautee pan and half a cup of white wine. Turn up the heat until things are at a good bubbliness- if you've made risotto before, you know what you're looking for. Stir often enough to keep things from sticking and to allow the rice to cook evenly.

The tomatoes will give up a lot of juice and start to collapse. When the pan starts looking a little dryer, add the bouillon, one cup at a time, and continue heating and stirring in the usual risotto way. When everything looks like it's nearly at the texture and soupiness you want, stir in a handful of basil leaves cut into fine ribbons. Take the pan off the heat, stir in a handful or two of Parmesan, then plate. Garnish with a little basil leaf, a bit of grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.

("RCP" added by Robin to torment Stuart)
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

Re: Tomato Risotto

by Jeff Yeast » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Sounds good. We had an heirloom tomato risotto as a base for a seared halibut steak at Auberge du Soleil last week that was fantastic. I might try this later this week.

Thanks 8)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:No "RCP" because as usual for me, this is more an outline than a step-by-step.

Whoa! I guess today is my Pick On Stuart day. ;)

I'd urge you to put RCP on posts like this, Stuart. We don't have any rule I know of that requires such posts be carefully calculated processes in recipe format. If the post tells us how to make something good - and yours certainly does - then it's good for it to have the code in the title so people can find it easily in searches.

Mind if one of us edits the Magic Letters on?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Go for it- it's your bar!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Go for it- it's your bar!

Awwright! Drinks on the house for everyone! :D
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:30 pm

Made it again tonight to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.

Linda actually ate it. I'm... astonished. Image
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Looks pretty tasty, Stuart.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:17 am

Way to go, Stuart! Beautiful!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:11 am

I dunno - looks suspiciously like Campbell's Tomato Rice to me........
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:22 am

That's probably why Linda tried it.
no avatar
User

Dwight Green

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 am

Morgan Hill, California

by Dwight Green » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:59 am

Yum! Many moons ago I'm pretty sure I posted a recipe on risotto using tomato juice in place of broth. Heresy for some, I'm sure, but it is mighty tasty. Prefer making my own juice to the pre-made stuff, but you have to have an overabundance of tomatoes for that approach.

Either way, now I want some after seeing that picture!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:That's probably why Linda tried it.

I think you may have the most "mixed marriage" I've ever encountered, Stuart. :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: RCP: Tomato Risotto

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:19 am

As someone with a fine appreciation for vegetables do you find that the bouillon potentially takes away from the flavor of the tomatoes?

I ask because my girlfriend loves to use vegetable stock when making risotto, but to my tastes it covers up the clean beauty of the vegetables (when they are clean and beautiful) and presents a muddier taste than I might like.

I know stock is obviously useful for cooking, and for plain risotto with just cheese and dairy I can see how it might add depth. But depending on the tomatoes I can also see how it might detract.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:32 am

Nope, the tomatoes are so intense that the bouillon just adds a little depth to it (the choice of bouillon or broth is, of course, a factor- no cubes or powders!!!). It is crucial to use GREAT tomatoes so that their flavor is the fundamnetal note.

The other thing is that the tomatoes give up so much juice that, unlike usual risotto preps, there's generally a lot of bouillon left over. I ended up using about 3 cups, but I always like to have more than I need, just in case.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:04 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Nope, the tomatoes are so intense that the bouillon just adds a little depth to it...

Aha. Sounds like great tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Superb tomatoes. It's a great year for them here; a long, cool spring started them slowly, and now they're coming on with a vengeance. My tomato supplier is a small but very serious grower.
no avatar
User

Marshall Gelb

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Redondo Beach, California

by Marshall Gelb » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Stuart; Thank you ...our tomatoes are the best we have grown in years and I need to try that recipe.

Cheers!!!
Marshall
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 am

Made it again last night for a group of 13 people. I don't know what they thought, but I was pretty happy with it. I noticed no left-overs...

Each time I use different tomatoes, the flavor changes a bit, in a pleasing way. That, to me, is a good sign.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:56 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Made it again last night for a group of 13 people. I don't know what they thought, but I was pretty happy with it. I noticed no left-overs...

As one of the gang of 13, I can say, the risotto was delicious. Given the somewhat chaotic conditions under which it was prepared, the results were even more impressive.

Good show!
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"