Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Habanero chiles...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Habanero chiles...

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 pm

have set my throat on fire! Woo-Hoo!!! FEEL THE BURN, BABY!
On the flip side, I got it on my face while wiping perspiration brought on my the aforementioned chiles, and now my cheeks are on fire also. :shock:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Habanero chiles...

by Bob Henrick » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Habaneros! Robert, they don't even taste good. Now Big Jims, there is a chile with flavor!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 pm

I happen to like the taste, but I do like the flavor of serranos a little better.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 pm

I am of the mind that heat without flavor is pointless. However, I do love those habs. Very fruity flavor profile. Yum!
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:17 am

Another habenero fan here. There is good flavor in 'em as long as the heat doesn't over power it.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:11 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I am of the mind that heat without flavor is pointless. However, I do love those habs. Very fruity flavor profile. Yum!

I agree, and have to wonder if Bob's got his hands on some unusual (or even mis-labeled) habaneros. They're hot, almost too hot for most normal uses in my opinion. But some of the greatest hot sauces feature habaneros, and when well-made, they show that fruity-hot-sweet flavor profile without going over the top from endorphin-inducing into outright pain.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:53 am

It is possible that I am no longer heat sensitive but I have found that if one is carefull in seeding and removing the white stuff (what is that called anyway?) that the habanero is not that hot at all. You get that wonderful fruit flavor with very minimal heat. I get more heat out of a poorly prepare Poblano than I do out of a carefully prepared hab.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:25 pm

I wasn't saying I don't like the heat, I just need flavor to go along with it. That's why I don't bother with extract sauces, for example. It is true though that the heat is really concentrated in the seeds and membranes. I never remove them from any chiles. :)

About heat sensitivity.... well, most of my friends and family have learned that when I say "No, it's really not hot" they can't rely on that assessment applying to them. :oops:

At a work function last evening, my summer staff colleagues, who live in Rhode Island and Ohio, had a heck of a time with the salsa, which I found very mild.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I agree, and have to wonder if Bob's got his hands on some unusual (or even mis-labeled) habaneros. They're hot, almost too hot for most normal uses in my opinion. But some of the greatest hot sauces feature habahttp://www.wineloverspage.com/forum ... #80374eros, and when well-made, they show that fruity-hot-sweet flavor profile without going over the top from endorphin-inducing into outright pain.

I don't usually have a problem with sauces that contain habañeros, when the peppers are used as a flavoring unit. However, very often manufacturers overdo the heat in the sauce, just because they can, and then silly people try to see who can eat the hottest. I enjoy lots of chilies in lots of ways. my favorite though is to take peppers with lower to medium heat, and roast them. I keep 4-5 gallon zippered bags of filled with New Mexico chilies in my freezer for flavoring lots of different foods. I can get the flavor and not have to drink iced tea by the quart with dinner. No aspersions cast or intended on those who like it hotter.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Habaneros! Robert, they don't even taste good. Now Big Jims, there is a chile with flavor!

Wash your mouth out with capseicin oil, boy! Them's fightin' words!

IMO habaneros combine excellent flavor along with all that heat.

I once ate a whole habanero plucked fresh off the plant. It was most instructive in illustrating where food goes once you eat it. For the next couple of days, I was acutely aware of exactly where in my digestive tract the habanero was.

Habaneros are excellent in Cochinita Pibil, and in the home version of the late-lamented East Coast Grill Hot Sauce. And of course in Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:20 pm

Brian Gilp wrote: ... the white stuff (what is that called anyway?) ...

Methinks it is referred to as the placenta of the pepper.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:51 am

I don't usually have a problem with sauces that contain habañeros, when the peppers are used as a flavoring unit. However, very often manufacturers overdo the heat in the sauce, just because they can, and then silly people try to see who can eat the hottest. I enjoy lots of chilies in lots of ways. my favorite though is to take peppers with lower to medium heat, and roast them. I keep 4-5 gallon zippered bags of filled with New Mexico chilies in my freezer for flavoring lots of different foods. I can get the flavor and not have to drink iced tea by the quart with dinner. No aspersions cast or intended on those who like it hotter.

Bob, do you buy the frozen packages from Hatch Chilies in New Mexico. I see their website is offering lots of chilies right now and I have thought about ordering some to play with in some of my recipes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:18 pm

But some of the greatest hot sauces feature habaneros, and when well-made, they show that fruity-hot-sweet flavor profile without going over the top from endorphin-inducing into outright pain.

Robin, Amen! Love the flavor of habaneros.

Bob H--the habanero is tiny and not a green chile, so it's an entirely different kind of flavor and application than our beloved Big Jims. I'm with you--wouldn't/couldn't eat one fresh--but darn they make fine hot sauce.

Brian/Gary--I think the white part is usually referred to as 'membrane'.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:38 pm

The sauces and powders I love best are from Jim Campbell at Mild to Wild Pepper Co. I especially love the Apple Smoked Red Savina ground chile and the Fiery Hot Habanero sauce. He grows his own chiles.

The Original Finishing Sauce is mild enough that even my Mom can appreciate its virtues.

Disclosure: I know Jim, who is a professional firefighter, and he is a really great guy. He's always helping other people out and doing a lot for various charities. I have no financial interest in the company, and no endorsement deal! I just love the products and am happy to support this venture.