Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Talking packages

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Talking packages

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:41 am

From today's New York Times article about contemporary product packaging:

Some companies are studying technology to put a computer chip and tiny speaker inside a package. This idea might be particularly useful for big companies like Unilever that want to cross-promote their various brands. So a package of cheese could say “I go well with Triscuit crackers” when a shopper takes it off the shelf.

Here's an image for you: me picking up a package of cheese, the package saying that to me, and me flinging that package as far down the aisle as I can throw.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Talking packages

by Thomas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:06 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:From today's New York Times article about contemporary product packaging:

Some companies are studying technology to put a computer chip and tiny speaker inside a package. This idea might be particularly useful for big companies like Unilever that want to cross-promote their various brands. So a package of cheese could say “I go well with Triscuit crackers” when a shopper takes it off the shelf.

Here's an image for you: me picking up a package of cheese, the package saying that to me, and me flinging that package as far down the aisle as I can throw.

My inclination would be to ask the package where the Triscuits are located, and if I get no answer then I would fling it.

Imagine a bottle of wine with the same vocal "information" in it. You'd get into trouble breaking all that glass in the store...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:12 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:From today's New York Times article about contemporary product packaging:

Another image: What the package of cheese would look like after being repeatedly stomped in the middle of the aisle.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:05 am

I could not agree more with the sentiment, Stuart. But, wouldn't you want to get more than three feet from it? :?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:41 am

Were you aware that I was on the US Olympic Cheese-Tossing team? Got a Bronze in the '72 games. If it hadn't been for that unfortunate incident with Cathy Rigby...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:08 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Another image: What the package of cheese would look like after being repeatedly stomped in the middle of the aisle.

...while exhorting, in the manner of evangelicals, "Cheez-us, oh cheez-us!"
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:14 pm

I have enough of an issue with the stupid automatic check outs blabbering on and on and on and on and on and on...

Thank you for using your Stop & Shop Card.

Your Stop & Shop Card has been accepted.

Ok, why did you thank me for using the card before you decided that it was acceptable??? Stupid $%%ing machine. Where's my gun?

The bagging area is full.

No kidding. I am buying groceries. Now if I can find something other than these dinky half-size paper bags I will bag some of my groceries.

Maybe the cheese can tell me where they put the bags. :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:29 pm

And what if it turns out to be a wildly successful marketing technique? What then?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but put in a sultry voice offering an...interesting...alternative use of the product, and you'd be more receptive.

FYI, several years ago my company looked at a system where a customer walking through an aisle would stop and linger in a given area for more than a few seconds (supposedly looking at that shelf area) and a sensor would trigger a voice with a given sales pitch for that item. We passed.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:And what if it turns out to be a wildly successful marketing technique? What then?

I go on a hunger strike.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:And what if it turns out to be a wildly successful marketing technique? What then?

There will be a lot of thrown cheese. And I'll be a Luddite folk hero.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:33 pm

I move so quickly in a supermarket the babbling bastards wouldn't get a word in edgewise.

...and there is always the iPod and headset.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Perhaps these things can be hacked?

"Psst! Hey buddy! You wanna eat synthetic industrial crap, go ahead and put me in your basket. I suck, but I do provide plenty of fat and calories in a small package which will increase your girth at a low price. 'Course, if you want something that doesn't taste like it came from a refinery, get the hell out of this store and over to the cheese shop down the street."

Or at Starbuck's:

"You know that the cafe down the street makes better espresso and won't make you feel like a moron by requiring that you use cute and meaningless terms to order your coffee?"
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:01 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Perhaps these things can be hacked?

"Psst! Hey buddy! You wanna eat synthetic industrial crap, go ahead and put me in your basket. I suck, but I do provide plenty of fat and calories in a small package which will increase your girth at a low price. 'Course, if you want something that doesn't taste like it came from a refinery, get the hell out of this store and over to the cheese shop down the street."

Or at Starbuck's:

"You know that the cafe down the street makes better espresso and won't make you feel like a moron by requiring that you use cute and meaningless terms to order your coffee?"

Funny Mike, on my way to get my mail I had the same thoughts about hacking. Now I think the idea is a good one--it would serve the marketers right! I might even learn how to hack.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Thomas wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Perhaps these things can be hacked?

Or at Starbuck's:

Funny Mike, on my way to get my mail I had the same thoughts about hacking. Now I think the idea is a good one--it would serve the marketers right! I might even learn how to hack.

(Pssst. Don't worry I got your connection. My older son was the first person arrested for hacking in the state of Tennessee - when he was 15. They weren't really sure what to prosecute him for since they weren't sure what he'd done exactly. He hacked into a Mississippi bank's computer - just to see if he could do it. Didn't do a damn thing while he was there. Which was why they gave him probation and told him not to do whatever it was he had done again.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:22 pm

Speaking of cheese, recently, one of my sons in Iraq had some free time on his hands and won the Tag Team 10 can Cheese Whiz Challenge.

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:36 am

This means that the terrorists have won.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:09 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:This means that the terrorists have won.
Hmmmm. Makes me wonder what the other side does with their free time. Bean Whiz perhaps? Hummus in an aerosol can? The package could talk to you before opening and the contents talk to you after consumption. :oops:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Were you aware that I was on the US Olympic Cheese-Tossing team? Got a Bronze in the '72 games. If it hadn't been for that unfortunate incident with Cathy Rigby...

Was her NFL playing husband to be around?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Were you aware that I was on the US Olympic Cheese-Tossing team? Got a Bronze in the '72 games. If it hadn't been for that unfortunate incident with Cathy Rigby...

Ah,yes, I remeber the incident well. Very sad.

Had she not mistaken the Bleu D'Auvergne you were slated to toss in the finals for Stayfree...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 pm

I still have scars from that one.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:49 pm

Jenise wrote:...while exhorting, in the manner of evangelicals, "Cheez-us, oh cheez-us!"

Which prompts me to trot out that old chestnut - You know what they call the franchise cheese shops in Palestine don't you?

Cheeses of Nazareth.....