Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

shortbread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

shortbread

by Thomas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:04 pm

For some weird reason I had a hankering for shortbread. Went to the local shop, picked me up a couple of their own-baked shortbread, came home, had a light salad for lunch, made me a double espresso, ate the shortbreads.

The espresso kicked in and now I have the energy to write my weekly wine column--the energy, but not one idea yet.

Only problem is, I can feel all that butter clogging my arteries and I swear I can feel my heart trying to pump harder and also screaming at me for the stupidity of my actions.

But they were good shortbreads...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: shortbread

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:10 pm

Thomas wrote:For some weird reason I had a hankering for shortbread. Went to the local shop, picked me up a couple of their own-baked shortbread, came home, had a light salad for lunch, made me a double espresso, ate the shortbreads.

The espresso kicked in and now I have the energy to write my weekly wine column--the energy, but not one idea yet.

Only problem is, I can feel all that butter clogging my arteries and I swear I can feel my heart trying to pump harder and also screaming at me for the stupidity of my actions.

But they were good shortbreads...

Well, you could always do something on wine and shortbread pairing ... kinda like biscotti and vin santo ... maybe a bottle of Deco from the Sonoma Valley Portworks and your favorite from Nabisco ... :roll:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Well, you could always do something on wine and shortbread pairing ... kinda like biscotti and vin santo ... maybe a bottle of Deco from the Sonoma Valley Portworks and your favorite from Nabisco ... :roll:

Wine and shortbread - it would have to be a buttery, creamy chardonnay - oh wait, with clogged artieries already, that could kill you. Maybe a botrytis chardonnay instead?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:Well, you could always do something on wine and shortbread pairing ... kinda like biscotti and vin santo ... maybe a bottle of Deco from the Sonoma Valley Portworks and your favorite from Nabisco ... :roll:

Wine and shortbread - it would have to be a buttery, creamy chardonnay - oh wait, with clogged artieries already, that could kill you. Maybe a botrytis chardonnay instead?

Oh, sure, Sue: clogged arteries AND diabetes. Way to go.

Besides, nothing's better with shortbread than the double espresso anyway.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:52 am

Yeah. But, what a way to go!
:wink: RIP
Jo
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:02 pm

Hoke wrote:Besides, nothing's better with shortbread than the double espresso anyway.

He could always put a shot of Kahlua into the Deco. :shock:
And now what?