Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine match for Fresh Tomatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Wine match for Fresh Tomatoes

by Maria Samms » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:42 pm

So now I have a counter full of tomatoes from my tomato plants. They are just delicious. I have done a quick simmered tomato sauce that I found a good wine match for, but when I tried to match it with the fresh tomatoes, it wasn't so great. Any suggestions? I saw Florida Jim's post on the wine forum about his vouvray match and the gazpacho and I was wondering if a vouvray might work.

These tomatoes are nice and sweet and have almost no seeds. I have just been cutting them up and eating them plain or with wheat crackers...sometimes I throw in some buffalo mozzeralla, basil and olive oil as well. Any suggestions welcome!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Wine match for Fresh Tomatoes

by Sue Courtney » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:46 pm

Yum- can't think of anything better than a new vintage Marlborough Sauv Blanc - fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozarella - I'm salivating.
But I'll have to wait. Tomatoes are soooooo expensive where I am right now.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:33 am

Maria's hit on one of my favourite's! When our ripe garden tomatoes are in season there's no better combo! What makes it work so well, IMHO, is the fresh basil (and always a quick grind of good quality freshly ground rock/sea salt). I haven't tried the combo with mozarella, but am willing to give it a go. The raw herbaceousness and crisp acidity of a recently bottled unoaked NZ Sauvignon blanc is the perfect partner to this terrific fruit and herb dish. I'd think a dry Vouvray would be ok but perhaps the "appley' varietal character may be a little out of whack with the bitterness of the tomato's savoury acidity.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:18 am

Young Barbera is a classic match for many tomato dishes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 pm

Maria, Viognier is often a good fresh tomato match, as are southern rhone white blends.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:59 pm

I like southern italian reds like a salice salentino or primativo with fresh tomato.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:I like southern italian reds like a salice salentino or primativo with fresh tomato.

Call me a traditionalist, but a simple, fresh Chianti (not a Riserva) just about always works for me, and doubly so when fresh basil comes to the party. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo will also do the trick.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Wow... was afraid to say it after the reco's for the whites - which I'm sure would be great - but a simple sangiovese was the first thing that came to my mind.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:46 pm

I bunch of us FLDGers got together yesterday and had several tomato dishes. IMO, the Basque wine Txakolina showed very well and matched a diversity of dishes (gazpacho, tomatoes w/ burrata). A Greek Moschofillero did likewise. Bandol rose had its proponents. And with the gazpacho, a Manzanilla was superb - as it is true to Andalucia.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:04 am

Count me in with Chianti,like Robin. But sometimes, I think a Montipulciano d' Abruzzo may actually handle the acidity of tomatoes a bit better.

Richard
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:13 pm

sorry, jenise, can't agree. nothing with a lot of alcohol and nothing low acid - both of which are typical of southern rhone whites and many viognier. i like the txokolina idea and similar - nz sb would be fine - lots of zippy acid - unless of course you are stuck with those dreadful low acid tomatoes. being from jersey, maria probably has the best possible tomatoes. world famous jersey tomatoes - yum.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:22 pm

We had the tomato/mozarella/basil combo the other night with a brut rose from Alsace (pinot noir). Didn't plan the match - I brought the wine not knowing what we were having for appetizers - but it worked out just fine.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 pm

Maria, think Rose.

rwj
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:59 pm

Hey all...thanks, as always, for all the great suggestions! I tried several of the wines with the fresh tomatoes that were suggested: chianti, viognier, NZ Sauvignon Blanc, Salice salentino & Montepulciano d'abruzzo. For me, the absolute best match so far was the NZ Sauvignon Blanc...I bought an especially grassy one, and it was like drinking liquid tomatoes and basil...perfect and YUM!!

btw, the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo is my all-time favorite tomato sauce wine. And Jenise, I wanted to say that the particular Viognier I tried, I just plain didn't like, so I plan on trying the combination again with a different viognier.

Anyway, thanks again...and I will continue to try the other recommendations and report back.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Maria Samms wrote: ... For me, the absolute best match so far was the NZ Sauvignon Blanc...I bought an especially grassy one, and it was like drinking liquid tomatoes and basil...perfect and YUM!!

Hey Maria, Great to hear the the NZ Sauv Blanc worked so well. I did a tasting with friends the other night - 16 sauv blancs including 10 from the 2007 vintage - then for the 'after tasting' I served fresh hot house NZ tomatoes (mega expensive at this time of year in NZ but small red ones that were totally flavoursome ), fresh basil, and basil flavoured feta cheese. The idea was to grab a basil leaf, a slice of feta and a slice of tomato; wrap the basil leaf around the tomato and cheese, pop it in the mouth and wash down with the freshest, grassiest, herbaceous Marlborough savvy. My friends hadn't even tried the combo before - but they found out, as you did, yummo. Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Sue