Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Potato Salad Version #742

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Potato Salad Version #742

by Jenise » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Or maybe it's 1,742 or even 17,420 because, surely, there are as many versions of potato salad as there are cooks.

The majority vary from each other based on combinations of ingredients after the potatoes are cooked. This one establishes it's difference much earlier on by combining several cooking methods to ready the potato component, and then layering the potatoes with other ingredients.

The potatoes are cut into wedges and boiled, then broiled to golden doneness. Lots of recipes say "use your favorite potato". Not this one: yukon golds are a must. Of the readily available commercial potato types, only a yukon will survive the boiling and then roast to perfection with a smooth, sealed surface and an achingly creamy interior. They're also a good size, averaging 3-4" in length which makes 2-3 wedges a perfect serving.

Once the potatoes are cooked they should be arranged on a platter, cut sides up. This can be done in the morning and the potatoes left at room temperature until service, when a separate wet salad of, say, shaved fennel and celery in a mustard dressing, cabbage and onion with red wine vinegar and blue cheese, or what I'm doing today--blanched french cut green beans and shaved Walla Walla Sweet onion in a chopped calamata olive vinaigrette--gets scooped over the top. The potatoes will quickly take on the flavors of the other salad but will retain their own fresh roasted flavor and creamy texture.

I'm taking a big platter of Salad #742 to a couples bocce ball tournament a friend is holding tonight. They're providing burgers and sausages and all the guests are bringing side dishes. This is a perfect pot luck dish: all the work's done in advance, it needs neither to be chilled or reheated, and the assembled dish you present to your friends is eye-poppingly dramatic.

So this is one of those recipes that's more of a technique than a script. Cut washed yukon golds in half lengthwise, and depending on their size cut each half into two or three wedges. Put in pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, add salt. Cook for about ten minutes, until potatoes are about 80% done. Drain and toss with EVOO, then spread on a cookie sheet, skin side down, and move to the broiler. Broil at 450-500 for about ten minutes until potatoes turn golden brown. Transfer cooked potatoes to the serving platter to cool and await the next step.

By the way, it's a good idea to make a lot more potatoes than you think you'll actually need. #1, once they're roasted, you will most likely eat one potato's worth. I did! And #2, when it comes to food, bounty is attractive, and potatoes are cheap. Go ahead--spoil the crowd and pile it on!!!

Meanwhile, prepare your salad. The sky's the limit here--use any combination of vegetables and dressing your heart desires, but make it extra wet so that there will be enough dressing to coat the potatoes, too. Pour over potatoes just before serving.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: RCP: Potato Salad Version #742

by Carrie L. » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:05 am

Jenise that sounds like a great way to serve pototo salad. Nice and untraditional. I'll bet it was stunning. The kalamata vinaigrette version would get my vote. Mmm. I hope your fellow potluckers realize how lucky they are to be among the likes of you!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Carrie, the way I look at it, I'm lucky to have neighbors who throw bocce ball tournaments (it was a blast). I'm still not completely used to the potluck concept, though. Foodie fests where everyone contributes a dish, yes--that's familiar territory, and comfortable to me. But potlucks just for the sake of potlucking, that still feels strange.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:07 pm

I agree. Call me a control freak, but I like to do it all myself, down to the nuts.
The potlucks I've been to rarely work out. People don't bring enough of their dish for everyone, or numerous people bring the same thing. (And it always seems to be mayo-based macaroni salad. ha.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I agree. Call me a control freak, but I like to do it all myself, down to the nuts.
The potlucks I've been to rarely work out. People don't bring enough of their dish for everyone, or numerous people bring the same thing. (And it always seems to be mayo-based macaroni salad. ha.)

You and I suffer the same affliction: we don't eat, we DINE. And the last thing we want to eat is food made by someone who hates to cook--which is what compulsory potlucks tend to generate as best exemplified by the exact two things you mention.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:14 pm

Jenise,

First remind me of the property for sale in your neighborhood--I know I keep threatening, but ...well, you make the neighborhood sound so damn great!

Second, that is the best name for a potato salad yet. If I ever see that method, it will be: 742.

B
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:00 am

Hey Barb, my elderly nextdoor neighbor passed away three weeks ago, and her heirs are putting the house up for sale. Start packing....
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Sounds absolutely fantastic Jenise!! I will have to try this soon!!

I, too, am not a big fan of potlucks. If I have any kind of function at my home I like to do all the cooking...and I totally agree that most potlucks are chock full of meals made by people who hate to cook...Ugghhh!

I just recently went to a cocktail party at a neighbors that was "pot luck". There were about five "Mexican dips" several "bruchettas" and the rest were some weird dips...yuck!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin