Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another reason I don't like Whole Foods

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Another reason I don't like Whole Foods

by Thomas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:49 am

K Story wrote:If I may drift just a bit...remind me again what the big problem is that many folks have with Walmart? Is it mainly labor practices, or does it have to do with their size and tendency to put the smaller guy out of business?

I'm no economist, so I'm just wondering aloud here...

Seems to me, K, a question like this on a bb like this may attract a bunch of opinions one way or the other. But opinions aren't information; for that, you might need to ask an economist--make that three economists, so you can evaluate the conflicting answers you'll likely get.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:05 pm

Thomas wrote:Seems to me, K, a question like this on a bb like this may attract a bunch of opinions one way or the other. But opinions aren't information; for that, you might need to ask an economist--make that three economists, so you can evaluate the conflicting answers you'll likely get.

True, Thomas. And God knows we don't want this to turn into another "Sicko" type thread...right!? :wink:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:58 pm

K Story wrote:
Thomas wrote:Seems to me, K, a question like this on a bb like this may attract a bunch of opinions one way or the other. But opinions aren't information; for that, you might need to ask an economist--make that three economists, so you can evaluate the conflicting answers you'll likely get.

True, Thomas. And God knows we don't want this to turn into another "Sicko" type thread...right!? :wink:

zactly...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:38 pm

Ray Juskiewicz wrote:2. The greatest food store known to man: Central Market

First, Ray, welcome to the Forum!

Our own Robert J works at Central Market in Austin. I plan on stopping in when next over that way.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm

The greatest food store known to man

Oh, you mean Berkeley Bowl!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:08 pm

Ray, last I checked our local herbs were organic. Either way you are right, though. I find plenty of crap at WF for $$$$$$$. CM has the same problem at times, too. And we can be kind of pricey.

I tend to bounce back and fourth between the stores. There are some things that I can get at WF cheaper than I can at CM. There are also some things that I can get cheaper at CM than I can at WF. I buy my other things (paper, cleaning, containment products, etc.) at Target.

Whole Foods has a superior bakery. I think the bakery at CM is way below standards for a store of that caliber.

rwj

P.s. Welcome to the boards, Ray!
Previous