Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Removing a cork from a bottle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Removing a cork from a bottle

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:04 am

I just saw this on another forum. Whether or not you've already seen it, this is worth repeating. Please share with any of your friends who enjoy a bottle of wine occasionally. We've all been there!
http://www.break.com/index/remove_a_cor ... ottle.html
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Removing a cork from a bottle

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 am

I bet that is a lot harder to do with wine in the bottle.

rwj
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 am

No point taking it out of an empty bottle, and I can't see his trick working on a full bottle.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 am

No point taking it out of an empty bottle, and I can't see his trick working on a full bottle.
Perhaps. But, since cork floats, I'll bet if you poured off a glass, you could retrieve the cork and pour the rest of your wine without having to use a straw to hold the cork back.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:12 pm

As a Home winemaker, a friend sent me the link several months ago. Several of my friends save empty bottles for me and once in a while they will have a cork inside. I tried it and it works a lot better than trying to fish it out with 2 shishkabob skewers. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Howie Hart wrote:As a Home winemaker, a friend sent me the link several months ago.
HI, Howie
I'm a home winemaker too. What do you currently have brewing? I saw the link on http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php? Have you dropped in? Great site!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:As a Home winemaker, a friend sent me the link several months ago.
HI, Howie
I'm a home winemaker too. What do you currently have brewing? I saw the link on http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php? Have you dropped in? Great site!
I'm pretty sure I registered for that site several months ago, but forgot my account name and password. I am ready to bottle 2006 Chardonnay, Riesling, Vidal, Leon Millot, 2 Sparkling cuvees and a Rose blend. I've already bottled from 2006 a Dry White blend, Vignoles and Steuben. This year I plan on making Chardonnay, Riesling, Gamay, Steuben, Vidal and Cayuga. I may also make a Bordeaux blend. I've been making wine since '76. I use local grapes when I can, but also buy fresh-pressed juice and must from nearby press houses. What do you make?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:40 pm

Howie Hart wrote:[What do you make?
I just bottled blackberry port (with elderberry and oak) from 2006 berry picking, currently brewing damson plum, awaiting concord grapes to start plumcord, will make orange chocolate port (when my R.J. Spagnols kit arrives). Last year I bottled Pinot Grigio, Sorrel (from hibiscus flowers, ginger and spices), strawberry, strawberry/lavender (decided I don't like this combination), raspberry, blackberry wine and blackberry port. I usually pick or purchase my own fruits (mostly picked fruit) and the orange/choclate port will be my second kit wine. Not cerain yet how I feel about those. I've been making wine since 2004. Started with golden plums from a tree in my backyard. The tree didn't bear this year(?), so I inherited plums from a friends tree.