Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you use Best Recipe from CI?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Do you use Best Recipe from CI?

by Barb Freda » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:59 am

I have been using this book for a while and really like it...now I love it...I am no baker, but I had to make some cupcakes for a photograph...I picked their traditional white birthday cake and followed directions.---I am pretty impressed...no, REALLY impressed with the very regular crumb, its softness (they have you use cake flour)...

They are making me look good (it was perhaps not the best for cupcakes as they didn't really "crown"--much depends on what you want, but for a layer cake they were flat and even...)

Good stuff just keeps coming out of that book. I think that book could teach anyone to cook

Barb
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Do you use Best Recipe from CI?

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Barb, I subscribe to the magazine, though I admit to letting them stack up three or four at a time before I get around to reading them, and this summer I've had no spare time to read, but I'm unaware of there being a book in which they've compiled all their top recipes. Tell me more about this....
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:52 am

There are several books from CI, with essays on the gazillion things they did before they settled on the recipe they present. I own Best REcipe and Best Soups and Stews, and true to form, you cannot make a misstep with these books. I still talk about the creme caramel my then 15 y.o. son made from CI--the best cooked custard I'd had in a long time--I am hugely critical of those dishes, and never quite happy, but he--and CI--came through...

I just happen to be extra pleased with myself for baking something so gorgeous and tasty...since I am such a mediocre baker, that is...

Go to Amazon and search Best REcipe--this book comes up with the others in the series...It is a bigger series than I realized...

b
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:31 am

One warning -- if you buy one of these books from CI, they assume you want to buy all the new issues and they'll ship without checking first.

I returned three that I wasn't interested in, until they finally stopped. Amazon or Barnes and Noble are a safer and cheaper way to go.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:05 am

I checked out The New Recipe Book from Cook's Illustrated that has 1,000 recipes. Interesting reading, plus the recipes I've tried so far were good, particularly the coq au vin.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:05 am

I also find their recipes (and articles) fantastic. I subscribed to the magazine a while back, and just added a .com subscription for 12.50 for the first year. It's easier to find a recipe or review with a search engine than by flipping pages. And the printed on paper recipe is easier to de4al with in the kitchen than a book or magazine.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 am

I subscribe to the online version as well, Ray, for just those reasons. Although, from time to time I borrow a magazine -- somehow it seems more "friendly". :)