Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Attention Meat-eaters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Attention Meat-eaters

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:01 am

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Attention Meat-eaters

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:04 pm

As Neil Cavuto said, only in America!

And that's in Phoenix. Isn't Phoenix also the home of the Pink Taco restaurant?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:38 pm

More colorful and spirited than some of the other grotesque food sites, you've no doubt seen them all -- Lileks gallery of regrettable food, candyboots (one of the newest), and my own favorite, the Potted Meat Food Products data corpus (story below).

--
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004
Subject: Horribile dictu! The Potted Meat Food Products Corpus

A milestone in my gastronomic education. A co-worker handed me ("YOU will like this") a sheaf printed from the following Web site and subordinate links:

http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

Initial photo of current canned products is eloquent enough (Armour Pork Brains in Milk Gravy, said to have 1200% the US RDA cholesterol limit, crowds a can of Bronte Lamb Tongues) but it gets better. The Flint River Ranch definition of "Meat by-products," the exact industry meaning and regulatory history of Mechanically Separated Poultry. Very well written. One of the links (the Potted Meat Food Product Tribute Page) describes a dialog with Armour Star Products, contacted for the purpose.

I'm reminded of H. P. Lovecraft's stories of knowledge better undiscovered; or of that documentary on the bagpipe, with accounts of initial horrified English reactions to the instrument ("... It is a Thing from Hell -- a Thing That Should Not Be ...")

Bon appétit. -- Max
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Actually, Max, though yes that's colorful and spirited, it's the website of an actual restaurant, and not, categorically, a tribute site of the kind you mention (and which I love). Still, I followed your links, I'd already seen the Gallery of Regrettable Food--but the others were amusing and I was sorry that following the links did not get me to the site with the Pork Brains in Milk Gravy, which website has apparently gone out of business.

Speaking of strange food fetishes, have you seen the mocumentary, called something like Never Been Thawed, though that may not be quite right, that purports to follow the members of a Scottsdale, Arizona (is Arizona the new mecca of wierd food fetishes?), club dedicated to collecting frozen dinners? It's clumsy and it rambles, but it has hilarious moments and captures the absurdity of obsessive collecting and fascination with the the foods most of us take for granted.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:01 pm

Max Hauser wrote:a can of Bronte Lamb Tongues

Ew(e) - sure to be a baaaad thing!

Seriously, I did not know that people ate lamb's tongues - I've only had experience with the bovine kind
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Wow! My old hometown makes good! I actually was in my first significant car accident at the very intersection they've put their restaurant. Ah, memory lane....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Pork Brains in Gravy? OMG - I have never seen this, but then I have never looked at these products except in passing down the aisle, I might glance at them and shiver. Tried Vienna Sausages once - never again.

Knowing what they put into commercial dog foods - I shudder at what they might put into these potted meats. They must serve a purpose because they have been around a long time. I don't remember anyone in my family from grandparents up ever serving potted meats.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:27 am

Jenise wrote: ... I was sorry that following the links did not get me to the site with the Pork Brains in Milk Gravy, which website has apparently gone out of business.

My description spoke of the big photo on the main page of

http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

-- still going strong, when I checked it a few minutes ago. Behold the products pictured, and imagine ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:43 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote: I actually was in my first significant car accident at the very intersection they've put their restaurant.

And the brain damage really hasn't held you back like they said it would, has it? 8)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:01 am

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote: I actually was in my first significant car accident at the very intersection they've put their restaurant.

And the brain damage really hasn't held you back like they said it would, has it? 8)

Not at all. My perfect tpyingh is a good demostraton of how well I've come out iof it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:38 am

Back in my teen years, vienna sausages, potted meat, and Hormel canned chili were hunt and fish camp staples for lunch, at least to us kids present at camp. I am happy to say I have been free of such dubious treats for nigh onto 30 years now. :wink: