Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sauteed okra variants

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

RCP: Sauteed okra variants

by wnissen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Here is my procedure for preparing okra (similar to Robin's), along with three seasoning variants. If you brown the okra well, I guarantee you a slime-free result.

Take 1 lb. okra, rinse, dry, remove tops, and slice into 3-15 mm (1/8-1/2") rounds. I often use the slicing disk on my Cuisinart, which makes short work of this step.

Heat a 30cm (12") heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. If cooking with the smaller size pieces, use high heat. Add 15 mL (1 Tbsp) canola or grapeseed oil, wait till almost smoking (be careful). Add okra, salt lightly, and sauté / stir-fry, tossing at least every 30 seconds. Cook until the outsides are lightly browned all over, about 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add desired seasonings, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until no longer crunchy, 5-10 minutes depending on the size.

Curried Okra:
Sorry, I don't know the masses of the spices.
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground fennel seed
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
or, just chuck 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder in there.

Add 1 cup chopped onion, a couple Tbsp tomatoes, and (optionally) 1/4 cup yogurt.

Italian Okra:

Add 1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup tomatoes, and 1 tsp oregano.

Pesto Okra:

Add 1 cup chopped onion, 2 Tbsp pesto (without the Parmigiano).

Serves two.

We make one of these every week in season, and never seem to get tired of it.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: RCP: Sauteed okra variants

by Thomas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:23 pm

wnissen wrote:Here is my procedure for preparing okra (similar to Robin's), along with three seasoning variants. If you brown the okra well, I guarantee you a slime-free result.

Take 1 lb. okra, rinse, dry, remove tops, and slice into 3-15 mm (1/8-1/2") rounds. I often use the slicing disk on my Cuisinart, which makes short work of this step.

Heat a 30cm (12") heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. If cooking with the smaller size pieces, use high heat. Add 15 mL (1 Tbsp) canola or grapeseed oil, wait till almost smoking (be careful). Add okra, salt lightly, and sauté / stir-fry, tossing at least every 30 seconds. Cook until the outsides are lightly browned all over, about 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add desired seasonings, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until no longer crunchy, 5-10 minutes depending on the size.

Curried Okra:
Sorry, I don't know the masses of the spices.
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground fennel seed
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
or, just chuck 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder in there.

Add 1 cup chopped onion, a couple Tbsp tomatoes, and (optionally) 1/4 cup yogurt.

Italian Okra:

Add 1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup tomatoes, and 1 tsp oregano.

Pesto Okra:

Add 1 cup chopped onion, 2 Tbsp pesto (without the Parmigiano).

Serves two.

We make one of these every week in season, and never seem to get tired of it.

Walt

I'm going to give them a try. Okra is coming in strong now.
Thomas P