Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mostly Martha vs. No Reservations

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Mostly Martha vs. No Reservations

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Who, besides me, has seen both? Any comments or comparisons?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Mostly Martha vs. No Reservations

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:39 pm

I've seen neither. A little Bourdain goes a long way, and NO Martha is even better!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:44 pm

Robert, my friend, No Reservations is indeed the name of Bourdain's show (which I love), but completely separately, No Reservations is the name of a now-showing American movie based on the German foodie film, Mostly Martha, hence my question.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:13 pm

Oops! I guess I wasn't thinking about the movies, which I barely have heard of.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:07 pm

I had heard about No Reservations and quickly rented MM. I now have no desire to see NR. MM was such a good movie.

rwj
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:30 pm

I loved loved loved Mostly Martha, and can't decide whether to see No Reservations or not. I'll probably end up going, but I'm not really a huge Catherine Z-J fan. (I know, the men will be all over me for that one!)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:00 am

I liked Mostly Martha, but I'll probably wait until I see No Reservations on the shelf at the Public Library.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote: but I'm not really a huge Catherine Z-J fan. (I know, the men will be all over me for that one!)

Not this one.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 am

Guess I'm the only one whose seen both, then? Well, I liked NR better than I thought I would--it was well filmed, I can never get enough New York, and it was satisfyingly fun and romantic. And yet, possibly because of the CZJ star power--she's so beautiful, its destracting--the uncompromising food-is-my-life thing didn't come across as strong to me as it had in Martha. I wondered how the film might have been more successful with someone a little closer to normal, like Holly Hunter in Broadcast News, or whose beauty can be toned down, like a Cate Blanchett. Too, the international tension of the cold, taut, precise German vs. the laid-back, warm Italian was certainly missing--they changed the story to make American sous chef Nick someone who'd merely learned to cook in an Italian restaurant, and that wasn't enough. But the acting was good, and little Abigail Breslin did a great job of being a real, third character and more than just a plot device.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:51 am

You've convinced me to go see it, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:36 am

I saw and loved MM quite a few years ago. I've been wanting to see NR but have been dragging my feet, so will probably wait until it's on PPV. My initial thought is that CZJ is not the right player for the part. Agree with you, Jenise, someone a little less glamorous and more neurotic would be more convicing. When she was interviewed about whether she shares traits with her character, CZJ said she is just wild about tableware (china and linens), which doesn't really scream "passionate about food" to me. I can even see Helen Hunt in the role, although she seems to have disappeared from the planet. I'll respond again after I see it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 am

Carrie, great casting--Helen Hunt would have been excellent in that part. She's attractive, leading lady material and yet very real. Wouldn't have had Catherine's glamour burden, wouldn't have been overly cute like a Renee Z, and would have inferred more seriousness than a Sandra Bullock. But in spite of her Oscar she's still not considered an actress that can open a film, and since there wasn't an A List actor attached to the Nick role...that's how Hollywood casts films.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 am

Finally saw it last night. My husband and I took his 82 year old mother and her friend who is in her 60s. We all enjoyed it well enough, but a few things bothered me. First off, Kate (CZJ) was not a particularly likable character...so, why, besides her obvious beauty did these two men (her neighbor and Nick) want to be with her so badly? I'm sure you guys will say, "What else do you need?" ;)

I also thought the movie had way too many cliches making it much more predictable than the German version. The pillow fight with feathers flying--I kept waiting for Nick to ring the doorbell to find Kate disheveled in her pajamas; the blindfolded tasting scene; too many montages showing the budding of the relationships--especially the cheesy pizza on safari scene, and too much placement of dramatic musical score telling us how to feel, when.

Also, as I thought might be the case, CZJ just didn't convince me she is passionate about food/cooking. She seemed too aware of herself, but perhaps that was the director's or cinematographer's fault(s) making sure that her bedroom eyes and pouty lips were "just so" for every shot.
On the other hand, I liked the guy who played Nick and am quite sure he'll be a new favorite leading man.

Jenise, you are right on. The missing element of the precise German technique and the laid back Italian style was key. I may have to rent Mostly Martha again to find out why else that movie worked so much better for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:29 am

I also thought the movie had way too many cliches making it much more predictable than the German version. The pillow fight with feathers flying--I kept waiting for Nick to ring the doorbell to find Kate disheveled in her pajamas; the blindfolded tasting scene; too many montages showing the budding of the relationships--especially the cheesy pizza on safari scene, and too much placement of dramatic musical score telling us how to feel, when.

I'm so glad you mentioned this, I didn't get into specifics because so few others had yet seen it and I was afraid of getting into spoilers, but YESSSSSS, every one of those scenes you mention made me groan audibly. They're not only cliches in themselves, as a group they're the cliche difference between American/studio and foreign/independent film: the audience is not expected to be smart enough to get it without cues.

Agreed about Aaron Eckhart, too. Especially the next leading man part--just a week before seeing this, I'd coincidentally seen Thank You For Not Smoking in which he stars. He sure dresses up nice. :D