Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Poll: Catsup or Ketchup?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Whether you like it or not, how do you spell it?

Catsup
13%
Ketchup
81%
Sauce of Satan
No votes
Other (please post below)
6%

Total votes : 31
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Poll: Catsup or Ketchup?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:50 pm

Just curious.

Is this variation regional? Ethnic? Family-dependent?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Poll: Catsup or Ketchup?

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:23 pm

I write "catsup" just to get a raise of the eyebrow from the reader.

By the way, in general I pronounce it "catch-up" with the location of that first vowel in the back of my throat (like in "aggravate" or "match" not up front (as in "etch").

Duality is a fine thing.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:53 pm

I'm ambicondimental, but voted ketchup because that's the way I lean 62.19% of the time.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Here's a quick summary of the story, in case of interest.

It's not a standardized spelling. (As with many words in many languages -- "recipe" and "receipt" were originally two spellings of the same word, for example. Another example is "Tomata" below.) Here are some data points, from a selection of popular US cookbooks, except for Mrs Beeton, which is British. (From the sources.)

Mary Randolph,* 1824 (edition of 1860): "Catsup"

Eliza Leslie, 1837 (edition 1851): "Catchup" (including "Tomata" Catchup.)
-- A chapter with eight recipes. Three include wine, one beer.

Mrs Beeton (British, edition 1861): "Ketchup"

Fannie Farmer, 1927: "Catsup"

Morrison Wood, 1949: "Catsup"

Joy of Cooking, 1964: "Catsup"

Fannie Farmer, 1965: "Catsup" (five recipes)

I vaguely remember the spelling "ketchup" making inroads in US in the 1960s or 70s, where previously "Catsup" was common on bottles. Maybe it's more phonetic. The Hesses in The Taste of America (1977), who by the way spell it ketchup, note that it was widely homemade, in various flavors, until recent times. They cite OED for the Amoy Chinese word kétsiap, and say the Malay kechap may come from that source. They also mention that one firm developed a bottled ketchup with natural tomato flavor but it didn't sell until the product was "slightly scorched and a metallic component added to give it the taste of 'real' ketchup." (A comment fairly representative of their whole book.)

--
"Mrs. Randolph freely, perhaps extravagantly, used wines and spirits in her cooking." -- Janice Longone, The Wine and Food Library, 1993.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:24 pm

Interesting, Max.

But how do you personally spell it when you use the word?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Interesting, Max.

But how do you personally spell it when you use the word?

No particular way. I've probably used it more in this and the recipe thread here than in the last few years.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:30 pm

Makes me think of Uma Thurman's stupid joke in "Pulp Fiction". Actually, I think I heard that joke when I was about 10. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:02 pm

I used "catsup" in the other thread because that was the thread title. Otherwise, I call it either "ketjap" or "horrible sweet red goop."
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 pm

I'm in the catsup camp, primarily because I like the sound of the word better.

The OED has an interesting gloss on the entire subject:

Catchup, catsup: A liquor extracted from mushrooms, tomatoes, walnuts, etc., used as a sauce. (Common in N. Amer., but in the U.K. now only KETCHUP.)

This version holds pride of first use according to OED:

1690 B. E. Dict. Cant. Crew, Catchup, a high East-India Sauce.

1730 SWIFT Paneg. on Dean Wks.

1755 IV. I. 142 And, for our home-bred british cheer, Botargo, catsup, and caveer. [I love that "caveer"!]

1751 H. GLASSE Cookery Bk. 309 It will taste like foreign Catchup.

1832 Veg. Subst. Food 333 One..application of mushrooms is..converting them into the sauce called Catsup.

1845 E. ACTON Mod. Cookery v. (1850) 136 (L.) Walnut ca
tsup.

1862 Macm. Mag. Oct. 466 He found in mothery catsup a number of yellowish globular bodies.

Ketchup followed a few years later:

1711 LOCKYER Acc. Trade India 128 Soy comes in Tubbs from Jappan, and the best Ketchup from Tonquin; yet good of both sorts are made and sold very cheap in China.

1748 MRS. HARRISON House-kpr.'s Pocket-bk. i. (ed. 4) 2, I therefore advise you to lay in a Store of Spices,..neither ought you to be without..Kitchup, or Mushroom Juice.

1817 BYRON Beppo viii, Buy in gross..Ketchup, Soy, Chili~vinegar, and Harvey.

1840 DICKENS Barn. Rudge (1849) 91/1 Some lamb chops (breaded, with plenty of ketchup).

1874 COOKE Fungi 89 One important use to which several..fungi can be applied, is the manufacture of ketchup.

OED's etymology note:

[app. ad. Chinese (Amoy dial.) kôechiap or kê-tsiap brine of pickled fish or shell-fish (Douglas Chinese Dict. 46/1, 242/1). Malay k{emac}chap (in Du. spelling ketjap), which has been claimed as the original source (Scott Malayan Wds. in English 64-67), may be from Chinese.

The Japanese kitjap, alleged in some recent dicts., is an impossible form for that language. (? error for Javanese.)]

There are number of books, or extracts of books, dealing with the subject, especially the variations in recipes and in the name itself.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Mr. Heinz says Ketchup. So do I . Is there any better reason to catsup? Does it really matter?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:10 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Mr. Heinz says Ketchup. So do I . Is there any better reason to catsup? Does it really matter?

James, a real connoisseur grew up on Pride of the Farm Catsup!! That is reason enough for the dichotomy.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:48 pm

This whole class of sauces comes from a Southeast Asian concoction (can never remember whether it's Malaysian or Indonesian or just what) whose name phonetically transliterates "ketjap".

So I vote for "ketchup" as the proper name for the stuff. That's what we always called it here in New England. The only place you heard "catsup" was on the advertisements on "My Three Sons", which was sponsored by "Hunt's Catsup" (as opposed to Heinz, which produced proper "ketchup" :wink: ).

-Paul W. (you can't get theah from heah)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:11 am

-Paul W. (you can't get theah from heah)
As in "Bert and I went down to the dock..." and "Camden Pierce had had an awful season..." :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:49 am

Catsup is dead. The last major mfr that used (I can't remember if it was Del Monte or Hunt's or someone else) catsup switched a few years ago to ketchup.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:00 am

And big government killed "catsup", Larry. Here's a very brief history taken in part from Pure Ketchup by Andrew Smith [2001]:

Heinz introduced commercial ketchup in 1875; it became so popular that other manufacturers launched Ketchup, Catsup, Catchup, Katsup, Catsip, Cotsup, Kotchup, Kitsip, Catsoup, Katshoup, Katsock, Cackchop, Cornchop, Cotpock, Kotpock, Kutpuck, Kutchpuck and Cutchpuck. All were tomato based and bottled and heavily advertised.

Eventually three big players remained: Heinz Ketchup, Del Monte Catsup, and Hunts, who could not decide on a spelling and bottled under the names Hunts Catsup (east of the Mississippi), Hunts Ketchup (west of the Mississippi), and Hunts Tomato Cornchops (in Iowa only).

The Feds got into the act when in the 1980's ketchup was declared a vegetable by the government for school lunch menus. Del Monte's Catsup, because of its spelling, was not on the approved list. Shortly afterward Del Monte changed the product's name to Del Monte Ketchup.

Nonetheless, I grew up with Hunts Catsup in Wisconsin, and I still like the word -- reminds me of my Maine Coon cat Fudge who loved to eat everything, but particularly love catsup. :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:16 am

Bob Ross wrote:
The Feds got into the act when in the 1980's ketchup was declared a vegetable by the government for school lunch menus. Del Monte's Catsup, because of its spelling, was not on the approved list. Shortly afterward Del Monte changed the product's name to Del Monte Ketchup.

Shades of Reagan! I do remember when they were trying to cheap out on school lunches by renaming ketchup a vegetable. If they had their way, mustard would have been steak. I also remember when they were thinking of eliminating student loans a couple of years later. Good planning for the future.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 am

I was a fairly rabid anti-Reaganite in those days, Larry, and the whole ketchup issue got mixed up in politics, and was played very badly by the Administration. The basic idea, though, was sensible, I think.

USDA standards at the time required that a reimbursable lunch consist of five items: meat, milk, bread, and two servings of fruit or vegetables. Many kids refused to eat the veggies -- "plate waste." The idea was that counting ketchup as a vegetable would meet federal standards without having to throw away so many lima beans, saving money while having no impact on the kids, who weren't eating them anyway.

The Dems went ballistic, and a guy named John Block[head] tried to defend the whole thing as a state's right issue. The USDA adopted a more sensible approach called offer vs serve -- the schools had to offer the five groups, but kids could refuse two of the five offerings. (The regs were never actually passed, they were proposed but withdrawn in view of the flap. Nonetheless, "catsup" is no more. :( )

Clinton's folks played it much smarter when they got salsa added to the list of permitted foods -- no real political fall out.

But, given my politics, if you prefer Democratic politicians staging photo ops about starving kids, go with my blessing. :)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:08 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Mr. Heinz says Ketchup. So do I . Is there any better reason to catsup? Does it really matter?

James, a real connoisseur grew up on Pride of the Farm Catsup!! That is reason enough for the dichotomy.

Jersey boys know nothin'!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:00 pm

Mrs Beeton (British, edition 1861): "Ketchup"

That's interesting, because I distinctly remember from living in England that there they call it Tomato Sauce. Heinz or Hunts, same bottle, but Tomato Sauce.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Bob Ross wrote:The basic idea, though, was sensible, I think.

This is insane. Children do not get to tell adults what is good for them.

If they won't eat it, that's the Way of the World. But it is totally insane to say that ketchup is a vegetable simply because it is something children will eat.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:42 am

The correct answer to this question is neither "ketchup" nor "catsup." The correct answer is "Heinz ketchup." There is no other, and no discussion is needed.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 am

MikeH wrote:The correct answer is "Heinz ketchup." There is no other, and no discussion is needed.

Spoken like a true man from Pittsburgh. (And that's the answer in my house too, as you probably guessed, Mike!)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:11 am

Have you noticed that whatever brand, Heinz included, ketchup is runnier now that it mostly comes in plastic, squeeze bottles. If you don't shake the bottle, you get a lot of liquid. I don't remember that back in the days of glass bottles. Or am I imagining things?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:22 am

I've thought the same thing, Larry. In the old glass bottle days, I always had to use a knife to get it started, but now I always have to shake the silly bottle to get rid of the separated water first.
Next