Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's next?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

What's next?

by Larry Greenly » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:56 am

Now the news is that wheat prices are double what they were last year. I can't wait for that ripple to show up in everything. Yippee.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: What's next?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Clearly the only course of action is to raise all one's food. Of course, in New Mexico, the water bills to do so would cost more than the extra prices in the grocery store.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:57 am

Yes, I can see amber waves of grain in the backyard of my 1/5 acre--or would that be the north 1/10?
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:47 pm

I actually heard on the news that in Colorado (I think), that along with the high prices, there is a bumper crop being produced this year.

But... there are not enough certified or whatever trucks available to get the wheat to market... so the governor has declared a state of emergency to somehow circumvent the problem and make more trucks available.

Oh, the woes of farmers! No sarcasm intended.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stori ... a=from_rss
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:20 pm

A helluva way to run a railroad....
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:05 am

my salt costs 10 times what other peoples does - which means i spend 1/10 of a cent per helping rather than 1/100 cent. what is the actual change in the cost of this ingredient in a loaf of bread? did the wheat cost 5 cents before and now will cost 10 cents per loaf? farmers work hard - they can have my extra nickel plus markups.
david creighton
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

news from the front

by John Tomasso » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:40 pm

From an industry newsletter, dated 9/7/07

Weekly Market Highlights

· Wheat futures prices eclipsed all time record highs this week in one of the most volatile weeks in memory.
· There is no new fundamental news; this rally is being driven by dramatically tight wheat stocks.
· The market is trying to ration demand through higher prices, with little or no success. Countries in need of wheat have few options outside the U.S.
· Thursday’s news of some rain in Australia and Argentina, with forecast for more, was cause for hope that Southern hemisphere’s crops would rebound from recent dryness.
· Wheat and flour buying are no job for the timid this season. Unbelievably, prices may be attractive at these levels.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:08 am

creightond wrote:my salt costs 10 times what other peoples does - which means i spend 1/10 of a cent per helping rather than 1/100 cent. what is the actual change in the cost of this ingredient in a loaf of bread? did the wheat cost 5 cents before and now will cost 10 cents per loaf? farmers work hard - they can have my extra nickel plus markups.

That's commendable you don't care about prices. Oil workers work hard and I still don't enjoy $3/gal gas. I also work hard, and I buy flour by the 50-lb bag, not loaves of Wonder Bread. And whether it's 5 cents or 10 cents, the ripple effect will be magnified in other products--that's pretty much a given.