Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wild Oats sale to Whole Foods goes through

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Wild Oats sale to Whole Foods goes through

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:42 am

Well, at least you're back to calling me by my first name, so there's some progress.

But no, seriously, I don't know at all what you mean.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:52 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Well, at least you're back to calling me by my first name, so there's some progress.

But no, seriously, I don't know at all what you mean.

One more time, Stuart Yaniger...

You said that you shop at WM for the everyday stuff like Clorox. For the real stuff you go elsewhere.

I'm saying that by going elsewhere for the "important" stuff you acknowledge the limitations, if not the failure, of the WM business model of mediocrity.

Yet, by buying anything at WM, anything such as the Clorox, you add to WM's profits. By supporting the store with profits, you wind up rewarding WM for its mediocrity--in the eyes of the bookkeepers or management, that is.

The alternative to supporting WM's mediocrity is to not spend any money in its store, which is my action, feeble as it may be, since they seem to have taken over the American psyche.

If that doesn't seem clear enough for you, one of us has to give back his Mensa card, and since I don't own one, you're it!!!

Oh, and to get this thread back to where it began, let me say emphatically: Whole Foods!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 am

I'm more confused than ever, I'm afraid.

First, let me say the obligatory "I hate Whole Foods and avoid shopping there whenever possible."

Whew. OK, that out of the way, your argument now seems to be that Walmart is "mediocre" because their specialty is commodities at high volume, not artisinal goods and other kinds of products which demand a lot of overhead to stock and sell?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:50 am

Go home, Stewart. The lights are out!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:01 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I'm more confused than ever, I'm afraid.

First, let me say the obligatory "I hate Whole Foods and avoid shopping there whenever possible."

Whew. OK, that out of the way, your argument now seems to be that Walmart is "mediocre" because their specialty is commodities at high volume, not artisinal goods and other kinds of products which demand a lot of overhead to stock and sell?

In case you haven't noticed, Jo Ann no longer thinks I am a formidable debater. Must have something to do with the fact that she answers no questions, preferring to generalize, and she makes no commitments to her arguments, preferring again to generalize, and then she turns lights out on others, which of course also darkens her space.

How am I doing now, Jo Ann??? ;)

Stuart, if you go back to my original post, you'll see that I listed why I don't like WM (and other big store chains). You commented on only one in my list, and distorted it too.

With the list I called the business model a spiral down the ladder of civilization, an admitted hyperbole but a way to say that I think that mediocrity is the message of these places, played out by way of poor service, low quality products (ok, not the goddam Clorox), and the overall inhumanity of the stores. That is how I feel about them.

My decision isn't knee-jerk political--which I've said before, but others on the bb don't seem either to read or to believe--my decision isn't visceral either. I have shopped in them at least once, twice in some. In almost every case, my shopping experience was depressing. That's enough for me to make a decision.
Thomas P
Previous