Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you have a Great Harvest Bread store in your community? Do you buy there?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Do you have a Great Harvest Bread store in your community? Do you buy there?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 pm

It opened here last winter and the response has been great. The breads I buy are so tasty, service is excellent, and pre orders are always ready and waiting for me. I am very fond of the Dakota Bread. I'm still new to their store but so far I like them. Their Great Harvest White makes excellent sandwiches.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Do you have a Great Harvest Bread store in your community? Do you buy th

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:24 am

We don't have one that I know of, but I wish we did!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:06 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:It opened here last winter and the response has been great. The breads I buy are so tasty, service is excellent, and pre orders are always ready and waiting for me. I am very fond of the Dakota Bread. I'm still new to their store but so far I like them. Their Great Harvest White makes excellent sandwiches.

There was one here when we first moved back to town in 1994, but we tried it only once or twice, and I think it's gone away.

I liked the concept, but frankly, after trying a few of the breads, they just didn't ring our chimes. Just about everything was sweet, and most were soft and sweet - sort of yupped-up Wonder bread, in my opinion - and for those who want artisanal breads, we're lucky enough to have a number of really fine Euro-style bakeries that blow Great Harvest away. One of them, Blue Dog, was started by a guy who had worked at the Acme Bakery in Berkeley, and he got the same pricey Spanish brick oven and makes breads that, in my opinion, are even better than Acme. Who needs Great Harvest (or Panera or any other chain)?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 am

i second the sweetness criticism. after trying them a couple of times i stopped. besides we have both zingermans and whole foods - both of whom make real aritisanal type breads without sugar. the bread i buy here in ann arbor is better than anything i've run into in years in france.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Do you have a Great Harvest Bread store in your community? Do you buy there?

by Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 am

Triple that criticism and Robin's apt description re Wonder Bread. My characterization is : overly sweet foundry bread. The absence of distinctive crust and crumb and the use of sweetneres in absolutely every offering is not my fancy.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Do you have a Great Harvest Bread store in your community? Do you buy there?

by Jenise » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:42 am

There's one here in Bellingham, but I've never been in it. However, there used to be one in Anchorage, Alaska, that I went to fairly often. There was a dark wheat loaf I loved--and yes it was slightly sweet, and that was exactly what I loved about it. They also had killer choc chip cookies.