Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bob H and the Kamado

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Bob H and the Kamado

by Maria Samms » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:14 pm

OK Bob! I have completed my backyard patio project and am now purchasing new furniture for it. One of my purchases is a charcoal grill.

My 2 options are the Weber Performer or the Kamado.

I have read over the Kamado website's info and have sent an E-mail to get some pricing, but I wanted to ask you some Q's.

I have never really dealt with charcoal before, do you think I will have a hard time learning to use my Kamado? I am only 5' tall, so does this mean I should get a smaller Kamado...or should I go for the largest one? Is it only good for smoking or long term BBQ, or can I also cook burgers and dogs on it? (I do have a large gas grill too so that is not SO important). What do you love about it...what are it's cons. Can I ask what you paid for yours (with shipping)...(I am also looking into some different colored tiles they don't normally offer so I am sure it might be pricier). And if there is anything else you think I should know...please feel free to tell me about it! TIA Bob!

Edited to ask a few more Q's : I live in NJ and we get lots of snow here in the winter...so would I be able to use it in the winter? If not, does it need to be covered, or would it have to be moved indoors during the winter?
Last edited by Maria Samms on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Bob H and the Kamado

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:08 pm

Get the Big Mama! (All your neighbors will be jealous, as will I.)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Maria,

If you want the tops, you gotta go for the Kamado!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Maria, congratulations on even considering a Kamado. There is as much difference between the metal Weber grill, and the ceramic Kamado as there is between day, and night.

I purchased the # 7 Kamado, and could have easily have been happy with a #5. I don't know if I will ever do it, but the idea of a #1 is appealing as a 2nd grill because it can be transported and the larger ones can not.

There is no comparison in taste of foods cooked over charcoal and the same food cooked on a gas grill. The gas is pretty convenient but the flavor of the charcoal is worth the small inconvenience that it has.

The Kamado lends it's self to what ever kind of cooking one wants to do. I cook pork shoulders (Boston Butts) for 18-20 hours at 210 degrees, and I cook rib eye steaks at 650 degrees for just a few minutes. I've done pork loins, prime rib, turkey, and roasted a whole bunch of chicken. All cooked at 350 degrees indirect. The best part of cooking in a ceramic kooker is that meats come out juicy and tasty. One can smoke the meat, or not using wood if desired. One can do cold smoking of fish using temperature down to or below 150 degrees. I had several kinds of jerky this past weekend made on a Kamado, and all were better than any commercial jerky I have ever tasted.

I will PM you and tell you the rest of the story Maria, because this might be a bit much for those not interested. But one last part is what I paid for mine. When I bought there was a sale ongoing and that allowed me to get some free accessories which I will explain in PM. I got the #7, 400 pounds of special coconut charcoal, I also bought a bbq Guru, and had a concrete pad 6' by 11' poured to sit it on. my total outlay was $2000. which sounds like a lot, but it is the last charcoal grill you will ever need. Talk to you in PM.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:10 am

Thanks Bob! And thanks for the PM too! I am calling them on Tues to set up an order. I actually decided to go with the #7 with colbolt blue tiles, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long to get my kooker. I let you know how it goes.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Maria, please post a picture of the finished project. The kamodo is visually stunning as well as efficient.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:54 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Thanks Bob! And thanks for the PM too! I am calling them on Tues to set up an order. I actually decided to go with the #7 with colbolt blue tiles, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long to get my kooker. I let you know how it goes.

You are welcome Maria. Also, there are accessories for the Kamado that are almost impossible to do with out, and then there are others that are nice to have, but not necessary. Feel free to pm me with any questions regarding accessories. On the front page of the Kamado web site is a picture of the cooker you are ordering, down to the color, which is exactly the one I got as well. Here is too good kooking. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:58 pm

Bob

what is the difference between the Kamado and the Big Green egg?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 am

John, the biggest difference between the two is the thickness of the walls. The BGE is about 1/2 inch thick, and the Kamado is 2 inches thick. The K holds heat much better than the egg and therefore is more fuel efficient. Also the K has many more accessories than the egg. Plus the K is tiled where the Egg can only be had in a textured surface. The K can also be ordered as a textured surface and is less expensive that way. The Egg is a good cooker, but the K is a great cooker.
Bob Henrick