Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Parmesan Reggiano - gold or cheese?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Parmesan Reggiano - gold or cheese?

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:27 pm

I used to be able to buy this from a large wheel, any size I wanted. Raley's deli folks tell me that can't cut cheese anymore (?) so they brought in the Grassi brand of Parmesan which I did not like. Went to Safeway today, they had the real stuff, cut into wedges for 20.00 a pound. The wedges ran around $10+ to $11 +. What is it selling for in your area?
At this price, I may have use it less. I will have to check at Costco.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Parmesan Reggiano - gold or cheese?

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 pm

Good reggiano parmesan goes for about $10-15/lb here. Interestingly, Trader Joe's doesn't seem to carry it anymore. Costco is a good idea; have you tried Walmart? (ducking for cover)

Thank the weak dollar for the rising prices.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:25 pm

At least you have a Raley's. Cost is about $15/lb in Albuquerque. TJ does have some less expensive brands from Italy that I haven't tried. Then there's the green can. :wink:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:53 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:At least you have a Raley's. Cost is about $15/lb in Albuquerque. TJ does have some less expensive brands from Italy that I haven't tried. Then there's the green can. :wink:

Shiver me timbers!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:11 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:At least you have a Raley's. Cost is about $15/lb in Albuquerque. TJ does have some less expensive brands from Italy that I haven't tried. Then there's the green can. :wink:

Call me a Parmesan cheese dissenter, but I actually prefer the infamous green can cheese. A distressing number of the dishes I've prepared with real Parmesan Reggiano end up smelling like barf. There is no more delicate way to describe the distinct smell of vomit that this cheese imparts to dishes made from it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:56 pm

Butyric acid? Change purveyors.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:19 pm

I agree with Stuart, Paul. Must be something wrong there - I've never run across that problem and we use the stuff on a weekly basis.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:55 pm

Karen, this might draw fire, but I would say that even at $20 lb it's not a bad deal. Considering that one doesn't use that much in one sitting, it still doesn't cost much per use. And since there's really no substitute........like we used to say in the Bronx, if you want it, you gotta pay.

Around here, the price seems to hover at around $15 lb - but I could easily see it rising rapidly, since cheese in general is going through the roof, and the dollar is weak vs the Euro.

I get mine whenever I'm in NYC in an area that specializes in Italian imports - there's lots of competition and they keep their prices down, even on the very best quality stuff. I buy a few pounds and that lasts me the two months or so until my next trip. Last time it was around $10 lb for stuff with nice age on it.

Which reminds me, I'm getting kind of low.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:42 am

In a pinch, less expensive Grana Padano is nice.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I used to be able to buy this from a large wheel, any size I wanted. Raley's deli folks tell me that can't cut cheese anymore (?) so they brought in the Grassi brand of Parmesan which I did not like. Went to Safeway today, they had the real stuff, cut into wedges for 20.00 a pound. The wedges ran around $10+ to $11 +. What is it selling for in your area?

Karen, do check the Costco in your area. The PR with the Kirkland label here is $8.99/lb. and that is what I use most often.

Paul, I do use the green can stuff for some things like my pepperoni pizza.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I used to be able to buy this from a large wheel, any size I wanted. Raley's deli folks tell me that can't cut cheese anymore (?) so they brought in the Grassi brand of Parmesan which I did not like. Went to Safeway today, they had the real stuff, cut into wedges for 20.00 a pound. The wedges ran around $10+ to $11 +. What is it selling for in your area?

Karen, do check the Costco in your area. The PR with the Kirkland label here is $8.99/lb. and that is what I use most often.

Paul, I do use the green can stuff for some things like my pepperoni pizza.

I'm not altogether sure what the stuff in that green cardboard cylinder is, but the one thing I know for sure, it ain't cheese.

As an experiment I once tried to make Alfredo with it. It would not melt in the heavy cream.

I think if one were to grind the container and remove the green coloration the would not be a nickel's worth of difference between the container and its contents.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:11 pm

No, no, no, no, no. You cannot even *consider* the green can.

My "beef" with parmesan is that the store always cut it into pieces that are bigger than what I need. Very often, a third of a pound, or even less, would suffice.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Call me a Parmesan cheese dissenter, but I actually prefer the infamous green can cheese. A distressing number of the dishes I've prepared with real Parmesan Reggiano end up smelling like barf. There is no more delicate way to describe the distinct smell of vomit that this cheese imparts to dishes made from it.

What Stuart said.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:56 am

My family refers to the green can as "Green Death". Wouldn't use it under any circumstances.

I get my PR at $10/# and have the choice of which season and some choice of year of production. Of course, not in Wisconsin - I get large blocks - 3-4# - when I visit family in Pittsbutgh.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:54 pm

Got some Reggiano at Trader Joe's today. It's pretty good, actually, not at all barfy. Raw milk, Stravecchio, $13 a pound.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:06 pm

PR is one of the very few things in life that I don't pay attention to the price of. When we run out, we get more. The current wedge is rewrapped so can't check the price. The Pecorino Romano from the same purveyor has a $9.99 tag on it; so figure.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Tend to pay what I have to. Nothing else seems that good. If you can find an Italian deli they'll often carry it for 10 - 11/pound. The substituties are not usually good enough. I never use the green can. Doesn't taste like cheese to me.
Howard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:21 am

I saw the real stuff at Trader Joe yesterday for $11/lb.

ANECDOTE:

I bought one bottle of Czech beer while there.

Checker: Holding up bottle, "How much were these?"

Me: "$5.99 a six-pack."

Checker: Blank look, hesitating. "Hmm, I wonder how much this is."

Me: "About a dollar apiece, unless you add something extra."

Checker: .........................Look of comprehension slowly comes over her.

Finally, it's like a "could've had a V-8" moment and she charges me a dollar.

I was really hoping we didn't need a calculator to divide six into six. Duh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Call me a Parmesan cheese dissenter, but I actually prefer the infamous green can cheese. A distressing number of the dishes I've prepared with real Parmesan Reggiano end up smelling like barf. There is no more delicate way to describe the distinct smell of vomit that this cheese imparts to dishes made from it.

-Paul W.

Paul, I love this about you, that you say exactly what you think even when you know it's going to be an unpopular view. Good for you. And I can relate in a way--once upon a time, I too detested Parmesan Reggiano--back before the word 'foodie' had been invented, my father used to bring it home from a great Italian restaurant in L.A. and everyone in my family except me applied it liberally to spaghetti dinner. I, too, thought it smelled like barf. I was well into adulthood before I changed my mind about it, and I don't know what made the difference.

But now--to answer Karen's question, I have no idea what I pay because I pay what I have to, though I generally buy it at Costco where I know it's cheaper. I'm thinking it runs around $13 there, but it probably fluctuates.

Speaking of cheese, though, out of curiosity last week I bought an 18 month old American version of Grana, which I should probably be shot for doing since I always live to regret these things. It's not like they were giving it away either, it was $12ish a pound which made me think "who are they kidding?", but still I bought it. Haven't tasted it--or more importantly, attempted to cook with it, since melting ability is as important as taste to me--but we'll see. If it won't make a good frico, it goes in the trash.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I agree with Stuart, Paul. Must be something wrong there - I've never run across that problem and we use the stuff on a weekly basis.

Thanks. I knew that couldn't be right.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Has anyone heard of Vacche Rosse (Red Cow)? It is supposed to be PR like it used to be, before the red coated cows were replaced by black and white ones. I read some info at Central Market about higher protein and fat content and longer aging, then took home a small container at $24.99 per pound. A side by side taste test proved it was creamier and better tasting than the standard $15 per pound PR. But over pasta the difference was lost.

So we have the red cow at one end and the green can at the other.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:02 pm

As Thomas said, Grana Padano. And it's not really that much of a step down. Grana can be great.

I also use Pecorino Toscano...if it's the aged stuff.

And since we're into heresies, the Argentinean knockoff of PR can actually be pretty good too. I say this because we got gifted with an entire wheel once, and operating on the 'waste not' policy, put it in our spare fridge. Every now and then I'd go in and clean up the edges and whack off a crumbly chunk. Ripoff though it was, it was pretty damned good eating.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:15 pm

I have no problem using Grana as a substitute. Aged Piave has a lot of similar flavors and for eating straight up, I like it's nuttiness and caramel
ovetones.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Paul, I love this about you, that you say exactly what you think even when you know it's going to be an unpopular view. Good for you. And I can relate in a way--once upon a time, I too detested Parmesan Reggiano--back before the word 'foodie' had been invented, my father used to bring it home from a great Italian restaurant in L.A. and everyone in my family except me applied it liberally to spaghetti dinner. I, too, thought it smelled like barf. I was well into adulthood before I changed my mind about it, and I don't know what made the difference.

Jenise,

Thank you, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had this reaction. Looks like I (1) have to acquire a good source of a good version of this cheese (the Trader Joe's pointer from Stuart sounds like a good start), and (2) have to acquire the taste. Wouldn't be the first time. I detest nearly all fish and seafood, and the fish sauce flavor that is ubiquitous in Thai cuisine was something that at first I found repulsive, and just barely tolerable, given the otherwise yummy flavors of the dishes. Then it was acceptable. And now it's enjoyable, although I still dislike the aroma of raw fish sauce. So maybe real Parmesan, for those of us with a Kraft-uneducated palate, is a similar learning experience.

-Paul W.
Next