Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Parmesan Reggiano - gold or cheese?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Parmesan Reggiano - gold or cheese?

by Jenise » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:44 am

Paul, no, you're not alone. The number of foods I used to roundly (not just mildly) detest that I now adore is fairly long, and most just seemed to take the right setting/version to appreciate. Once upon a time I there was nothing I thought more revolting than blue cheese (and not without experience, I'd been forced to try it on many occasions as a child), but which one won me over? One of the sweeter, milder, creamier versions? No, the bad boy--Stilton. But I had to be in England and at the home of someone whose foodie instincts I found intriguing to be open-minded enough to want to learn to like it. And like your fish sauce progression (which I suffered identically), it took some time.

Btw, I still try not to smell the fish sauce when I use it for fear I'll revert to old issues.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:36 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I used to be able to buy this from a large wheel, any size I wanted. Raley's deli folks tell me that can't cut cheese anymore (?) so they brought in the Grassi brand of Parmesan which I did not like. Went to Safeway today, they had the real stuff, cut into wedges for 20.00 a pound. The wedges ran around $10+ to $11 +. What is it selling for in your area?
At this price, I may have use it less. I will have to check at Costco.

I finally got a chance to check one local supplier and found block Parmigiano Reggiano at $14.99 at Whole Foods (where they apparently raised prices on many items this week coincident with the announcement that our local Wild Oats will now close).

I'll report back later with a price check at Lotsa Pasta, a great locally owned and operated specialty-food shop.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 am

So far, it looks like Trader Joe has the best price for Parmigiano Reggiano: $10.99/lb, which I think is pretty reasonable.

Raising prices. Who woulda thought?

After Raley's closed here and Albertson's bought them, you should have heard my cousin complain about the new, sharply increased prices. She swore she'd never go back there.

I certainly noticed raised prices, too. For example, Romaine lettuce jumped from $1.29 to $1.69. Isn't competition (or lack thereof) grand?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:44 am

We saw the same jump here, despite Raley's still being open (and still sucking big-time). I suspect it has more to do with costs at the source because of weather conditions than anything else since I saw the same price rise at Safeway, but I honestly don't know.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 pm

It's amazing how the same chain can be so different in different venues. The two nearest Raley's to me here in Albuquerque were genuinely upscale and first class in all respects, including the friendly staff.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:02 am

With Albertson's taking over the NM Raley's locations, that may change.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:43 am

About 15.00 / lb for good stuff down here. We use a brand called Il Villagio. I've never noticed a "pukey" or off smell to it. In fact, the cheese has almost a "pineapple" like musk to it. I think it smells wonderful.

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:57 am

Ray Juskiewicz wrote:With Albertson's taking over the NM Raley's locations, that may change.

It already has.
Previous