Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

End of summer dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

End of summer dinner

by Howard » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:35 pm

My in-laws live on a lake in Michigan and we spend a fair amount of time there when we can during the summer. I've already sent one of my kids off to college but we had the other three, my brother-in-law and his 3 kids, grandma and grandpa for dinner tonight. For some reason, I've been the designated cook recently- and tonight's dinner re-emphasized how much I actually enjoy the role.

Dinner tonight was :
Grilled strips - simple - coated with salt pepper and garlic and grilled to 130 deg over charcoal.

Salad - Simple - roasted asparagus, fresh farmstand tomatoes, green onions dressed with yogurt/parmesan/dijon mustard

Veggie - my take on julia child's green beans provencale - onions, garlic, and fresh farmstand tomatoes cooked down with herbs and red wine leftover from last night - beans blanched and added at the end.

Not a complicated dinner but all of us ate on the porch watching the sun go down. Washed it down wth a 2001 Vacqueras - Domaine Couroulu. Nice little wine with flowers/garrigue/blueberries. As I watched my nephews and kids go for seconds on the salad and veggies and my mother-in-law complimented me on the dinnerl, I realised how much fun it is to cook for people who like to eat what you like to make.

Sandy and I still had time for a sunset sail. School starts next week. Sigh.
Howard
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: End of summer dinner

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your lovely evening with us, Howard. I can picture it all!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 am

Howard wrote:...For some reason, I've been the designated cook recently- and tonight's dinner re-emphasized how much I actually enjoy the role....
Why does that not surprise me! :wink: Similar here. Yesterday my son hosted a picnic with about 40 people, including the parents of his girl friend of 4 years (first time I met them, as they live in Florida). I contributed about 25 lbs. of BBQ pork (thank you Chef Carey), home made apple sauce from the tree in my yard, baked beans (my grandfather's recipe - over 100 years old), cole slaw and some home made wine (of course).
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:33 am

Howard, that sounds like a PERFECT meal. As fun and intellectually satisfying as all the foofoo layered/pastry/rare ingredients stuff is to do, this is the kind of food that connects with our souls and makes us feel loved.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 am

There's definitely a place for the rare/complex stuff. It's fun to spend all day (or two) on a geewhizbang meal. There's also a time for simple and this was it.

Oh, and the tomatoes are out of this world.
Howard
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:55 am

Howard, really nice job.

I can see why you are the designated cook.

It sounds like a meal that I should use as a model.

Thanks very much for posting.

Regards, Bob