Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tah Dig (Bottom of the Pot)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

RCP: Tah Dig (Bottom of the Pot)

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:09 pm

I got a little bored today and decided to perform a kitchen experiment. I made some tah dig which in Farsi means bottom of the pot.

The general idea is that one create a crispy layer beneath a pot of rice. This layer can be made from many things, e.g. a thin layer of rice itself, any flat bread or even Wonderbread, thinly sliced potatoes or turnips, or, as in my case, a flour tortilla from Mission Foods. (This, by the way, seems to be the preferred alternative to Iranian flatbread in this neck of the woods.)

I've been watching Iranians make this now for about 18 months. This is my best guesstimate from these observations.

Ingredients:
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 flour tortilla (full fat)*
Butter
Olive oil
Salt

*The bigger the pot, the more tortillas. You need to cover the bottom completely.

I used a 2 qt., non-stick pot with cover and a dish cloth.

Method:
1. Make your rice as you normally would. I tend to take 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice in a 2 quart, non-stick pot and let it steam for about 20 minutes. I put a little salt and butter in the water.
2. Remove rice, rinse off in a strainer, and reserve.
3. Dry out the pot and return to very low heat (about a 2 on the 'lectric stove).
4. Melt a pat of butter in the pot and add a teaspoon of olive oil.
5. Line the bottom of the pot with the tortilla (or whatever you choose).
6. Optional: Brush some more oil on top of tortilla.
7. Let brown for about a minute or two.
8. Cover tortilla with reserved rice.
9. Cover pot and use a dish cloth to create a seal, i.e. just cover the pot with a cloth, put the lid on top of it, and then fold up what's hanging out so it doesn't catch on fire.
10. Let steam on low for at least 10 minutes.

How long you do Step 10 is up to how dark you want your tah dig. I've had some which was blackened and not too tasty for me. At 10 minutes mine was very dark blond and crispy, although it had really only crisped on one side. Both sides would have been better. Some folks only par-cook the rice and then let this last step take up to 45 minutes. Just fool around until you get to your desired crispness.

This stuff is really worth the effort. You will fight your family for it!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: Tah Dig (Bottom of the Pot)

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Whoa! I almost wish I hadn't seen that ... tahdig is addictive! I've never thought of trying it at home, but a nice little Iranian fast-food joint near us (named Shiraz, nice wine-related moniker) gives away a chunk of it with every dish. They always use rice, though ... crunchy and delicious, dripping with healthy, life-giving oil ... ;)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 pm

Never heard of this one, Gary (which is not surprising given my unfamiliarity with Iranian food). Sounds very good, though, and I think the kids would love it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:38 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Never heard of this one, Gary (which is not surprising given my unfamiliarity with Iranian food). Sounds very good, though, and I think the kids would love it.

Zari stopped at some allegedly good Persian eatery in Sacramento on the way home from Tahoe this weekend. I'll find out the name and PM you. You can test the waters of Persian cuisine there.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:46 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:Zari stopped at some allegedly good Persian eatery in Sacramento on the way home from Tahoe this weekend. I'll find out the name and PM you. You can test the waters of Persian cuisine there.

Thanks! I know of one place in town but I've never been there and I've never heard anything about it, good or bad. A recommendation from someone who knows about this stuff would be great.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:53 am

Famous Kabob
1290 Fulton Ave
Sacramento, CA 95825-7397
Phone: (916) 483-1700

That's the place. According to Zari, the food was very, very good and my figure-conscious girlfriend praised that they even let you substitute salad for the rice.

Be daring! Try a stew!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Most interesting ! I've heard about this but never seen or eaten. I had a totally different conception of what it was and how it got that way. Thanks
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:19 am

Gary, interesting! I had no idea that tah dig could be a crusty bottom of something OTHER than rice! I've only had it the one way, and recipes I've followed were also all-rice.

Question: what kind of rice does Zari use/consider the most Persian?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:20 am

Jenise wrote:Gary, interesting! I had no idea that tah dig could be a crusty bottom of something OTHER than rice! I've only had it the one way, and recipes I've followed were also all-rice.

Question: what kind of rice does Zari use/consider the most Persian?

Yes, I know. I have more than several dozen Persian friends and some still even reside in Iran. The only place I get tahdig in the original rice form is at a restaurant and even then it is often made with potatoes. Everyone else seems to use something else!

Zari usually buys the 50 lb. sack of basmati rice at Costco. What seems to make the Persian rice Persian is the method of preparation which includes multiple soakings and drainings over a few hours with the subsequent steaming in the cloth covered pot.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:45 am

even then it is often made with potatoes.

You can get that at any Waffle House, six different ways.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Zari usually buys the 50 lb. sack of basmati rice at Costco. What seems to make the Persian rice Persian is the method of preparation which includes multiple soakings and drainings over a few hours with the subsequent steaming in the cloth covered pot.

I was thinking/hoping you'd say basmati. At the only two Persian restaurants I've ever eaten at, both used basmati also.