Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Chocolate Cherry Pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Chocolate Cherry Pizza

by Robert J. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:02 pm

We made this at a pizza class the other night. It may not be for everybody but I really liked it (and I don't usually go for stuff like this). The recipe is from Paul Schunder who is the Chef de Cuisine of the Central Market Cooking School.

3 1/2 cups Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1/4 cup Superfine Sugar
pinch of salt
1 package dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. oil (not olive)

2 lbs. Cream Cheese
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
4 cups Cherries (we used jarred cherries preserved in a little liquor, drained)
4 cup Chocolate Chips

In a food processor, pulse the dry ingredients together (you may proof the yeast first but we didn't). Add the oil and water together in a steady stream (you may have some water left). Scrape the dough ball onto a floured surface and knead until you have a smooth ball. At this point you may leave the dough whole or cut into four equal pieces for smaller pies. Cover and set aside until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Beat the cream cheese in a standing mixer until softened. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until well incorpoerated. Add the cherries and beat just to incorporate. Remove the beater and stir in the chocolate chips.

Roll the dough into a square that will fit in a half-sheet pan (or, using smaller sizes roll into rounds) and bake on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the crust (or 1/4 of the mixture on a smaller crust) and return to the oven for 5-7 more minutes. Let the pizza rest for a few minutes and slice. Serve dusted with powdered sugar and cocoa powder.

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: RCP: Chocolate Cherry Pizza

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:00 pm

This sounds like good party fare. But what wine to serve with it?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe, Robert J. I love that you illustrated it with a photo! :D I wish more people would.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:01 am

Now that I FINALLY have a digital camera I will surely be illustrating most of my recipes.

As for wine, maybe a deep, jammy Zin, a port; something along those lines.

A note on the crust: the cocoa makes the dough rather soft so this is not a crisp-crust pizza. It is more like chocolate focaccia. Not that I mind.
rwj