Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What's for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:28 pm

Last night I had a really strong pizza jones goin' on, so that's what I did. Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up the mushrooms and only realized halfway into assembling the pizza that I was out of green chile! Drat!

Tonight will be chicken fajitas... the chicken is marinating as I type. Served with some good fresh guac. Mango sorbet for dessert.

What about you?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: What's for dinner?

by Saina » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:37 pm

A Carelian theme tonight at my brother's place. A Carelian meat dish with lamb, beef and pork that slowly simmer in the oven (5 hours or so). And Carelian pies with it (rye crust filled with rice which are baked and then smothered in a mixture of eggs and butter).

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Otto, are recipes to be had??
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:40 pm

I'll try to dig some up tomorrow. Or after chat today if I'm feeling insomniac.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:08 pm

Tomato paella ala Bittman -- we found some really ripe, delicious tomatoes today, the first of the really good ones this season.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Found a steak in the freezer. Cousin gave me some tomatoes and Armenian cukes. I made some bread today. Guess what I'm having?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:48 pm

Last night:

Stir-fried some cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts seasoned with poulty seasoning, salt and pepper. Carved the kernels off a fresh cob of corn and tossed them into the fry. Dropped in a handful of shelled edamame as well.

Made a vinairgrette with some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sweet and sour mustard, salt, pepper, and a touch of honey.

Tossed some baby spinach leaves with some shredded carrots and sunflower seeds. Covered this with the stir-fry. Covered that with the vinairgrette and tossed it all together.

Yum!

Tonight: Who knows? My son suggested Mexican to accompany the NY Giants' football game. He already bought the Corona.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:05 pm

I finally found a whole turkey breast with bone in at our local meat cutter shop. I've stuffed it with sage, rosemary, lemon and garlic. I mixed melted butter, soy sauce, garlic and lemon and have basted the turkey with that several times today. This will go onto the grill about 5:30 tonight.
I am roasting a big sheet pan of rutabaga, parsnip, turnip, red potatoes, carrots, red onion and whole garlic cloves. Tossed with evoo, thyme, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper. Roasted until edges are browning and bottom surface caramelizing.
Garden cukes with sweet onions, in vinegar and oil, and fresh tomato slices.

Note - I could not find the turkey breasts all summer. Raley's told me Foster Farms did not have them, and the Zacky order came in spoiled, so they dropped the whole breasts for now. I wonder what's up with this?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Game dinner here at Doris Ranch.

Grilled Quail with lemon oregano marinade.
Roast Breast of Pheasant with a marron farce.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:00 pm

Basic roasted chicken. Curried okra ala Walt Nissen. Tomatoes stuffed with mozzarella and basil. Baked potatoes. Figs with currant syrup, raspberries, and mascarpone for dessert.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Caprese. Stir-fried Mexican green onions, chanterelles, and corn. Tomato paella with Bittman's mistakes corrected.

It wasn't bad.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:58 pm

My wife is traveling, so I'm cooking for one.

Objective is to dirty the fewest number of items, while still putting a nice dinner on the table.

I chopped up some peppers, red, yellow and green, and a half a red onion, and got those going in a skillet. Once they were softened, I tossed in a few hot sausages, and let everything brown up together. In another pan, sauteed zucchini, fresh tomatoes and garlic.

Salad was tomato wedges and crumbled blue cheese, dressed simply with xvoo and red wine vinegar.

The wine - Breton 2003 Bourgueil "Clos Senechal" served with an ever so slight chill - was a joy to drink.

Dessert was a juicy peach - which sadly, are beginning to show signs that the end is near.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:08 pm

Mistakes? Please identify.

I did some more research and found a post by Jens Riis with a recipe for Oven Baked Spanish Style Rice,

http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... es/99.html

Pretty much the same as Bittman's description, with more tomatoes and no pork or cooked vegetables.

Janet doesn't like saffron, so I went with paprika -- it came out very well.

Please let me know how to correct Bittman's errors, Stuart -- it would be fun to make this dish even better next time.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 pm

First and foremost, if you're going to use excellent tomatoes, for god's sake, don't use tomato paste. It's best (IMHO) to do a fresh tomato reduction and use that; it layers the tomato flavor and balances the acidity of the tomatoes added in wedges. His liquid/rice ratio does not compute- this gives a very undercooked texture. He finishes the dish with parsley; dull. In the last minute of cooking, spread some fresh spinach leaves, then cover (I also added some eggs, but nothing terribly original there).

OK, I'll admit it, I was a bit too harsh. But a few changes can elevate this from a good dish to a terrific one (IMHO).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:12 am

Many thanks, Stuart. Insightful as usual. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:24 am

One more thing- I've noticed an unusual affinity between good mature California Cabernet and saffron. If that's what you're drinking, an extra pinch will be rewarding.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:57 am

Last night:
Had salmon cakes, curried crab, steamed rice, heirloom tomato salad with red wine/balsamic vinaigrette, home made Pinot Grigio, and six friends.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 am

Last night was Chicken Marsala w/ penne rigate & peas. Served with a rustic inexpensive Bordeaux I stumbled on. (2004 Chateau Beyzac). Very nice match.

Richard
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:15 am

Karen wrote:

I am roasting a big sheet pan of rutabaga, parsnip, turnip, red potatoes, carrots, red onion and whole garlic cloves. Tossed with evoo, thyme, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper. Roasted until edges are browning and bottom surface caramelizing.

Karen,

Could you elaborate just a bit more on this dish? Ratios etc?

Richard
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

RCP: Roasted Roots with Herbs

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:47 pm

Roasted Roots with Herbs
1 rutabaga, peeled, cut into 1-inch wedges
6 small whole carrots, peeled, cut into 4-inch lenghts
4 small parsnips, peeled, cut into 4-inch lenghts
1 turnip, cut in half, and then 3/4-inch slices
2 med. red onions, peeled, cut into quarters
4 small red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into quarters
several cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
3 T. EVOO
1 T. chopped mixed herbs (I like fresh thyme, rosemary and sage
Coarse salt and freshly gr. pepper

Toss everything in a large bowl, let sit for several hours, tossing now and then.
Line a sheet tray with foil, place root veggies into. Sprinkle with a little more EVOO.
Roast 475° for 35 to 40 minutes until edges are browing and sides touching foil is caramelizing sugars.
Serves 4

Edited to add RCP to assist in future recipe searches--Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:30 am

Your pizza desire has awakened the same in me. Last night was leftovers (BBQ chicken and chicken filets baked with parmesan cheese mixed with a little butter and bread crumbs). The pizza suggestion has me thinking that I'll make the dough and grill it on the Weber. I'm sure I have a chianti or cold beer ready to go.
Does anyone else grill their pizza?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 am

I used to make pizza on the grill, but haven't for quite a while now. I don't even know why not! I might have to do that again this weekend. Thanks for the reminder, Jon.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Real wood charcoal is best, of course. A piece that fell out of my last bag looked just like the flooring we have in the living room, except it was charred!
Hey - we're looking forward to seeing Liz this weekend. We'll also catch a meal at Cafe Za.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 pm

Yes, real wood charcoal is the only way to go, Jon. I don't even have a gas grill, only a tiny Weber.

PM Liz for her schedule for the weekend if you want to be sure to catch her. She usually works something like 7 p.m. to close. Have a great time!
Next