Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whole grain pita bread recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Whole grain pita bread recipe?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Has anyone here got a tried and true recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? I know that Robert J makes his own on a regular basis. Anyone else?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Whole grain pita bread recipe?

by Howie Hart » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:45 pm

From "The Joy of Making Your Own" cookbook:

PITA (Pocket bread)

These flat buns form a pocket inside as they bake. Just slit them and tuck in any sandwich filling you like. A traditional Middle Eastern bread, they go well shish-kabobs. The recipe makes 16 little fat loaves.

Ingredients:
5 to 6 cups of whole wheat or un-bleached all purpose flour
2 packages dry yeast
2 cups water
1/4 cup oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt

1. Wisk together all ingredients except flour and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in flour and mix to make a soft dough.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Cover dough with a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
5. Cut the dough into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball,
6. Roll the ball into circles 5 inches in diameter.
7. Place them on a greased cookie sheet and let them rise in a warm place until puffy, about30-45 minutes.
8. Bake in a preheated 400 DegF oven on bottom rack for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Has anyone here got a tried and true recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? I know that Robert J makes his own on a regular basis. Anyone else?

Whole grain flatbreads bum me out. I've never really had one that was plump and pliable. They always seem so dry and brittle.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 pm

I've never had a pita bread worthy of what I want to put into it. The pockets are too small to pack a decent amount in. I've never had one that did not break on me spilling all the contents out. Not a fan of pita bread. My friend makes a great appetizer from them, however. She cuts the bread into small wedges, smears a little butter, Fines Herbs, Paremesan and broils until bubbly. Excellent!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Has anyone here got a tried and true recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? I know that Robert J makes his own on a regular basis. Anyone else?

Cynthia, my recipe is really basic:

3 1/2 Cups Flour (Bread, AP, WW, or a mix)
1-2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. EVOO
1 package yeast (I use Hogeson Mill)
About 1 1/2 cups warm water, more or less.

Proof the yeast if you want or just mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients until a ball forms. Dump the ball onto a floured board and knead for approx. 10 minutes. Let the dough rise in an oiled bowl, covered, until doubled in bulk.

Cut the dough in half and then cut each half into 4 or 6 pieces. Shape into balls and let rise on a floured surface, covered, until doubled in bulk.

Roll each ball into a flat circle (or whatever shape you get) and lay the disk onto a hot ungreased griddle or grill. Grill until you start to see bubbles and turn. Grill until it starts to puff up. If you want to get good black spots on it just keep flipping until each side has the doneness that you desire.

I don't stuff my pita like Karen tries to do. I tend to use them as more of a wrapping. That way I keep most of the goodies inside.

Now here is what may answer your question. Try using different flours and meals in the mix: amaranth, flax, ground oats, quinoa, etc. I'm sure that you will be able to come up with something good. Just make sure that the dough is smooth and elastic when you knead it. This is a very forgiving bread to make.

rwj
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone. I've been baking loaf breads my entire life. I just wasn't sure if proportions of grains mattered more in flat breads to have an acceptable end product.

I'll make some next weekend and report back.