Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Alternative uses for wonton wrappers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Alternative uses for wonton wrappers?

by Jenise » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Successes? Failures?

I was just looking at a recipe for ravioli that surprised me by specifying wonton wrappers, and that got me thinking about the first time I used wonton wrappers for something vaguely ravioli-like (I made Asian short ribs a la Ming Tsai one day, then used the leftover meat to stuff wonton wrappers which I poached and served in a broth with grilled bok choy and marinated bamboo on another). Flavorwise the result was delicious. but the wrappers were a bit too thin to be boiled, and the heavy filling might have undermined the whole idea where a lighter filling (like squash or cheese) wouldn't. Too, I realize that wrapper thickness varies brand by brand and another brand would have provided a better result, I've never been tempted to do that again and tend to use wrappers for pot stickers that are either browned and steamed or just steamed.

Other uses: I have boiled the wrappers and layered them, though, to make little individual "lasagnas". I once tried just boiling the skins like noodles to make a soup, and wasn't especially happy with that--dried egg noodles would have been better. And somewhere I had some wicked good little snacks that were wonton wrappers coated with parm (prolly egg dipped first) and baked until crispy.

Anyway, I bought a bunch of wrappers a few months ago for a major dumpling project I never got around to, so I have a big bunch in the freezer to play with, use up, or throw away. Toward that end, the butternut squash ravioli recipe (I've pasted it in below) sounds like a harmless little adventure. In fact, I can just picture it garnished with some of those little parm snacks I mentioned--that would be a fine combination.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what fun things others have done with these wrappers--would love to get some new ideas.

Sweet Potato Wonton Skin Ravioli with Browned Sage Butter

2 1-pound red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, room temperature
1 12-ounce package wonton wrappers
1 large egg, beaten to blend

Fried shallots and sauce
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large shallots, cut crosswise into thin rounds, separated into rings
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
8 large fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted

preparationFor ravioli: Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil rimmed baking sheet. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise; place cut side down on baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 35 minutes; cool. Scoop potato pulp out of skins into small bowl. Spoon 11/3 cups pulp into medium bowl. (Reserve any remaining potato pulp for another use.) Add sugar and butter; mash well. Season filling with salt and pepper.
Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place wonton wrappers on work surface. Using pastry brush, brush wrappers with beaten egg. Place 1/2 tablespoon sweet-potato filling in center of each. Fold each wrapper diagonally over filling, forming triangle. Seal edges. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature while preparing fried shallots and sauce. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead. Freeze, then cover and keep frozen. Do not thaw before cooking.)

For fried shallots and sauce: Heat vegetable oil in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, fry shallots until crisp and dark brown, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Cook butter in large pot over medium heat until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add sage and red pepper.

Meanwhile, working in batches, cook ravioli in pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well. Add ravioli to pot with butter sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to plates, drizzling any sauce from pot over ravioli. Top with fried shallots and pine nuts; serve immediately.

Makes 6 (first-course) or 4 (main-course) servings.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Alternative uses for wonton wrappers?

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Successes? Failures?

I was just looking at a recipe for ravioli that surprised me by specifying wonton wrappers, and that got me thinking about the first time I used wonton wrappers for something vaguely ravioli-like (I made Asian short ribs a la Ming Tsai one day, then used the leftover meat to stuff wonton wrappers which I poached and served in a broth with grilled bok choy and marinated bamboo on another). Flavorwise the result was delicious. but the wrappers were a bit too thin to be boiled, and the heavy filling might have undermined the whole idea where a lighter filling (like squash or cheese) wouldn't. Too, I realize that wrapper thickness varies brand by brand and another brand would have provided a better result, I've never been tempted to do that again and tend to use wrappers for pot stickers that are either browned and steamed or just steamed.

Other uses: I have boiled the wrappers and layered them, though, to make little individual "lasagnas". I once tried just boiling the skins like noodles to make a soup, and wasn't especially happy with that--dried egg noodles would have been better. And somewhere I had some wicked good little snacks that were wonton wrappers coated with parm (prolly egg dipped first) and baked until crispy.

Anyway, I bought a bunch of wrappers a few months ago for a major dumpling project I never got around to, so I have a big bunch in the freezer to play with, use up, or throw away. Toward that end, the butternut squash ravioli recipe (I've pasted it in below) sounds like a harmless little adventure. In fact, I can just picture it garnished with some of those little parm snacks I mentioned--that would be a fine combination.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what fun things others have done with these wrappers--would love to get some new ideas.

Sweet Potato Wonton Skin Ravioli with Browned Sage Butter

2 1-pound red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, room temperature
1 12-ounce package wonton wrappers
1 large egg, beaten to blend

Fried shallots and sauce
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large shallots, cut crosswise into thin rounds, separated into rings
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
8 large fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted

preparationFor ravioli: Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil rimmed baking sheet. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise; place cut side down on baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 35 minutes; cool. Scoop potato pulp out of skins into small bowl. Spoon 11/3 cups pulp into medium bowl. (Reserve any remaining potato pulp for another use.) Add sugar and butter; mash well. Season filling with salt and pepper.
Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place wonton wrappers on work surface. Using pastry brush, brush wrappers with beaten egg. Place 1/2 tablespoon sweet-potato filling in center of each. Fold each wrapper diagonally over filling, forming triangle. Seal edges. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature while preparing fried shallots and sauce. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead. Freeze, then cover and keep frozen. Do not thaw before cooking.)

For fried shallots and sauce: Heat vegetable oil in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, fry shallots until crisp and dark brown, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Cook butter in large pot over medium heat until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add sage and red pepper.

Meanwhile, working in batches, cook ravioli in pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well. Add ravioli to pot with butter sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to plates, drizzling any sauce from pot over ravioli. Top with fried shallots and pine nuts; serve immediately.

Makes 6 (first-course) or 4 (main-course) servings.

I am still looking for the squash in that recipe! :?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:58 pm

"A bit to thin to be boiled"

A very odd remark, considering that the original serving method for wontons is either boiled (poached, if you prefer) and drained, with sauces or condiments; or cooked (boiled) in a soup. Fried wontons are a more upscale, hoity-toity preparation, albeit delicious and my preferred way to serve them.

But boiled wontons are the absolute original. "Wonton" I have read means "swallow a cloud" and refers to the ethereal softness of the boiled version.

Perhaps it does seem unusually soft (or mushy) to a palate calibrated to Italian al dente-type pasta. But wontons liberally stuffed with seasoned pork filling (not the niggardly almost meatless abominations found in most US restaurants), folded in the "leaf" pattern (not just quickly crumpled into a mess as in most restaurants), boiled just until done, drained, and served with a fine sauce (the hot-and-sour sun la chow show, for example) and perhaps poached bean sprouts, is to die for.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:51 am

Paul, I understand that boiled can be ethereal--please reread the part of my post where I acknowledge that the "too thin" problem was particular to that set of wrappers.