Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tofu scramble for breakfast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Tofu scramble for breakfast

by John F » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:48 pm

Stealing from a breakfast item at Black Eyed Susan's restaurant in Nantucket....I picked up a package of tofu the other day in Tokyo. This morning after working out at the gym I diced it up, sauteed in a tiny bit of EVOO, a dash of citrus flavored soy sauce, chopped cilantro, shot of chili paste and some ground pepper to finish.

REALLY REALLY GOOD!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Tofu scramble for breakfast

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Did you use a silken or firm tofu?

I think that there's a real affinity between tofu and egg; I may try something like this but combining both.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 pm

I'm not a tofu expert and the label was all kanji - but I would say firm. It held it's shape perfectly while cutting into pieces and also while scrambling...consistency was like a firm custard and you could have had a shot at handling it with a chopstick. Other times i have had it and if you touch it with chopsticks it just falls apart.

My thoughts were it is very much like egg - a blank canvas. You really could have thrown anything at this...chopped peppers, onions etc but I have to say the citrus soy/cilantro/chili paste was nice. I love cilantro but obviously that sentiment is not universal
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm all for cilantro!

There's something about this which seems to be saying "shiso" to me. Is that what flavoring you had in the soy sauce?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:18 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Did you use a silken or firm tofu?

I think that there's a real affinity between tofu and egg; I may try something like this but combining both.

When all is said and done (and, yes, I realize a lot more is said than done) this may be our one point of serious disagreement.

I am pretty sure that tofu has more to do with the serendipitous nature of birth than culinary preference.

I have noticed, with the singular exception of Japanese men (who are stuck,) a decided preference on the part of those who are concave in the nether regions as opposed to those who display convexity, for this processed food substance known to all as tofu.

I find it a pallid substitute for real forms of protein, but probably a necessary adjunct to the diets of vegetarians.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:58 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I'm all for cilantro!

There's something about this which seems to be saying "shiso" to me. Is that what flavoring you had in the soy sauce?

The sauce I was using was called ponzu shoyu - or short hand referred to as ponzu. Ponzu technically is thin stock of mirin and seaweed reduction and then the juice of local Japanese citrus fruits (or lemons) are added. This very tart sauce is often added to soy sauce and it gives a very interesting twist on soy - some of the saltiness is muted and the lemon flavor comes out....not sure if you can get it in the US but my guess is yes
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:05 am

Ponzu is what I meant, not shiso. Sorry.

Chef, trust me, concave I ain't.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:57 am

Here is where my wife and I part company. She can't stand tofu. I enjoy it.

I spent a lot of time in Hawaii when I was young and gained an appreciation for all sort of foods (you get so many influences there) including tofu.

In fact there are forms I'd like to be able to get here, but haven't seen - I used to use aburage pockets like pita bread - they made great covers for fast 'sandwiches' - diced raw tuna with dill pickle etc.. Non traditional, but the flavours worked, at least for a teenager (me).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 am

chefjcarey wrote:I have noticed, with the singular exception of Japanese men (who are stuck,) a decided preference on the part of those who are concave in the nether regions as opposed to those who display convexity, for this processed food substance known to all as tofu.

I find it a pallid substitute for real forms of protein, but probably a necessary adjunct to the diets of vegetarians.

I'm neither Japanese nor particularly concave, but I like tofu. Certainly not as a meat substitute but as a compeletly different food. I thought John F expressed it perfectly in his "blank canvas" post. A lot depends on how you showcase the stuff, but it is possible to do really delicious things with it.

That being said, I almost invariably use it in Asian applications. I've never particularly enjoyed the hippie-food variations that use it as a meat substitute in Western dishes.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
chefjcarey wrote:I have noticed, with the singular exception of Japanese men (who are stuck,) a decided preference on the part of those who are concave in the nether regions as opposed to those who display convexity, for this processed food substance known to all as tofu.

I'm neither Japanese nor particularly concave, but I like tofu. Certainly not as a meat substitute but as a compeletly different food. I thought John F expressed it perfectly in his "blank canvas" post. A lot depends on how you showcase the stuff, but it is possible to do really delicious things with it.

That being said, I almost invariably use it in Asian applications. I've never particularly enjoyed the hippie-food variations that use it as a meat substitute in Western dishes.

Took me a while to find this. It's been a few years since I read it.

I am sure there is more modern research available now.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:18 pm

chefjcarey wrote:http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

I'm not big on tofu because it is amorphously shwobbly and wobbly, but this article at least gives me some reasons for my innate sense of to-re-fu-sal.

Actually, I've seen quite a bit of anti-soy science and it's not all funded by the meat packing industry.

P.S. I am radically convex ... both front and back!
And now what?