Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Is this dangerous?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Is this dangerous?

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Our local Raley's has the Java City coffee inside their store and as I stated in the Starbuck's post, it is my favorite coffee. They keep their nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, etc. powders on top of a machine that is very warm (don't know what it is) but the top is metal and vented. I noticed today that the powders were very warm and I had a hard time shaking the nutmeg and cinnamon into my coffee. Can the oils in these powders turn rancid from the containers sitting on the heat all day and could that be the cause of stomach upsets occasionally after drinking the coffee?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Is this dangerous?

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:08 pm

I don't know for sure, Karen, but it seems to me that if they went a bit rancid, you'd have a taste issue rather than a potential health issue. Just a guess, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:33 pm

The higher the temperature is, the faster chemical reactions proceed. Reaction with oxygen in the air is going to be faster if the condiments are heated.

I doubt if this would cause tummy upset. The worst that would happen is the condiments would be stale.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:53 pm

They taste fine, and I've never had any problems, but a friend has. Knowing that coffee can cause stomach upsets, I wondered about the spices. It just seems a strange place to keep them.