Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chilean Sea Bass = Fish bacon?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Chilean Sea Bass = Fish bacon?

by Carrie L. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:10 am

It's amazing how much fat these fillets produce when cooking. When on the grill, the fire flares up like I'm cooking a Prime rib-eye. When pan searing, no oil is necessary and two fillets produce about 2-3 tablespoons of residual grease. But boy is this good fish. Last night I pan seared them until crusty on the outside and my fillet tasted like one big scallop.

Anyone have any idea about the Omega 3s in this fish? I never see it listed with the fish supposedly high in Omega 3s (Mackeral, Salmon, Sardines, etc.) Any idea why not, since it's obviously a highly oily fish?
Regardless, I'm glad it's back on the market with the new regulations.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Chilean Sea Bass = Fish bacon?

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:51 am

Carrie L. wrote:Regardless, I'm glad it's back on the market with the new regulations.

At what price per pound?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:43 am

$23.99. Outrageous, I know, but we felt like treating ourselves.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:49 am

Carrie L. wrote:$23.99. Outrageous, I know, but we felt like treating ourselves.

That is outrageous. :shock: A good filet mignon doesn't cost that much! We used to think fish was affordable. I guess catfish still is.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:58 am

Carrie L. wrote:$23.99. Outrageous, I know, but we felt like treating ourselves.

Whew, that's pricey. But it is lovely fish--and that crust it sets up--ooh la la! If you have duck fat around, it will get even crispier. No idea about the Omega 3 part.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:00 pm

This is my favorite fish. When I see a nice big fillet, I snatch it up. We always grill it with a little EVOO, salt and pepper, and finish it off with a fresh lemon drizzle...that is all it needs. I've never noticed it flaring up but I'm sure Gene grills it using the indirect method after he heats the grill.
Very pricey fish but worth every cent.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Carrie,

As a former fishmonger to the best of my knowledge sea bass is not very high in omega 3's (more oil does not necessarily mean more omega"s).

If you can find it, look for a fish called Kona Kampachi. It is farm raised in Hawaii. To the best of my knowledge it contains the highest amount of omega's and has no traceable levels of mercury or PCB's. Sea bass has VERY traceable levels of mercury (though this does not stop me from eating it).

Just my $0.02.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Robert, Chilean (aka Patagonian Toothfish) is not a sea bass. I don't understand your comment about omega-3.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:52 pm

I was under the impression that the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA aren't actually produced by the fish, but rather are consumed by them. I also understood that that's the reason for the different levels of the substances in different kinds of fish.... different diet etc. Is this not correct, Bernard?

I thought that's what Robert was saying.... just because you have a lot of oil from a particular fish doesn't mean that oil is as rich in omega-3s as some other kind.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:46 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:Robert, Chilean (aka Patagonian Toothfish) is not a sea bass. I don't understand your comment about omega-3.

If you are correct in your statment, is Wikipedia wrong about this? The different markets call it different names, it seems, but still the same fish according to this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_toothfish
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:15 pm

A few notes from my files on this fish:

Australian Government:

"The properties of toothfish are quite unique. The skin is black and the flesh is white with no pin bones. When filleted, it is a solid piece of white flesh. One valuable characteristic is that the flesh contains a high level of Omega 3 fatty acids that are released when cooked. Omega 3 fatty acids have become recognised for their health benefits, particularly in combating asthma."

http://www.afma.gov.au/

US Department of Commerce:

Is Chilean sea bass an endangered species?

No. But large, unreported catches from illegal fishing of this valuable fish has made effective management difficult. In 2000, more than 16,000 tons of Chilean sea bass were legally harvested in the Antarctic management area. Estimates vary, but there may be up to twice that amount taken illegally. Some Chilean sea bass fisheries are managed in a responsible manner, but there are some areas where the species has been and continues to be overfished.

Is Chilean sea bass available in the United States?

Yes. U.S. regulations allow imports of Chilean sea bass that are caught within legal limits and that provide for the sustainable use and conservation of the fishery resource. However, some illegally harvested Chilean sea bass does enter the United States. Restaurateurs and consumers should ask questions before buying Chilean sea bass to ensure that the fish being purchased were legally harvested.

http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/fs/2002/8989.htm

See also: http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/rm/2003/20952.htm

Endangered Fish Alliance:

Pass on sea bass
Pirate fishing fleets that disregard fishing limits are illegally catching this fish from Antarctica. Unless people stop eating Chilean sea bass, it may be commercially extinct within five years. So remember, however deliciously you prepare it, pirates probably poached it first.

Sustainable Alternatives
Alaskan Halibut
Atlantic Herring
Atlantic Striper
Atlantic Striper
Cat Fish
Mahi Mahi
Pacific halibut
Sable Fish
Shad
Striped bass
White sea bass

http://www.endangeredfishalliance.org/c ... eabass.htm

My bottom line: no Chilean Sea Bass. Your mileage may vary.

The Alaskan fisheries have done a wonderful job with sustainable wild salmon, an excellent source of Omega 3.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:24 pm

The "Trade Name" was invented to confuse consumers into thinking they were getting something with a name they were familiar with. Wikipedia is not wrong, just incomplete. The fish is NOT a seabass. Seabass are lean fish and that is why they are relatively low in Omega-3. I do not know the stats on Patagonian Toothfish, but Robert made no distinction between real sea bass and the faux, fatty "sea bass" that you asked about.

Karen, you can google "black sea bass" to learn about the true species that go by that name (more than one related fish species can be called sea bass).

http://www.ecovima.com/english/seaBasspage.htm says that Chilean seabass is high in Omega-3. I don't know their source for that info.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Chilean Seabass, or Patagonian Toothfish, is a member of the Cod Icefish family. This family contains about 50 different species.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:11 pm

Bernard, the o.p. made no distinction either. As a fishmonger I simply understood this to be the topic.

I was wrong earlier in saying that Seabass aka toothfish may not be high in omegas. They feed on plenty of ocean plankton and live in cold waters, two criteria necessary for the development of omega 3's. They are, however a rather sedentiary fish which may cause them do develop not as much omega 3 acid as other, more active fish such as salmon.

As for the Kona Kampachi I mentioned, I am not sure how they develop such a high O3 content around Hawaii. This may be due to the fact that they are a product of aquaculture.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Actually Bernard, she did make that distinction in the title. That is why I felt no need to go any further.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:34 pm

It may be meaningful that the USDA database does not give nutritional values for tooth fish or Chilean Sea Bass.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/

The Australian website is the best source of info on nutritional values that I've found.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

USDA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:37 am

Where does the USDA provide quantitative nutritional information? I cannot find it.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: USDA

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:46 am

Here's the database link, Bernard:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

I missed two entries for sea bass. Sorry.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:22 am

Thanks everyone for all of the research. I appreciate it.
I was indeed talking about the Patagonian Toothfish. Glad to know that it most likely contains a high degree of Omega 3s. It's a nice change from salmon, which is usually my fish of choice. (Unless the restaurant has Black Cod, which I now understand--thanks to Bernard's link to Ecovima--is almost identical in flavor and texture to toothfish. No wonder I like it.)

I'm quite certain that the store from which I purchased it would not be buying pirated "loot." It is a small upscale, east coast specialty grocery store. http://www.freshmarket.com/. But I will certainly ask where they get their "toothfish" next time I'm in there and will report back.

Jenise-the duck fat sounds oh-so-decadent. I served the fish the other night with roasted ukon gold potatoes tossed with EVOO, sea salt and pepper. Me thinks the duck fat would have been a nice substitution for the olive oil there. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:03 am

Carrie, should you get your hands on some duck fat don't forget that it is great mixed with butter (2 to 1, approx.) in a pie crust or buttermilk biscuits. Yum yum!

rwj
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:13 am

Carrie L. wrote:I'm quite certain that the store from which I purchased it would not be buying pirated "loot." It is a small upscale, east coast specialty grocery store. http://www.freshmarket.com/. But I will certainly ask where they get their "toothfish" next time I'm in there and will report back.

The FRESH MARKET in my area bombed with me a long time ago. There was nothing of note in the store. The produce section was mediocre along with meat and seafood department. I've been back a couple of times to give them a second chance - no success.

We have a small family run chain that is located between Richmond and Williamsburg, but that is too far to travel for a decent grocer. UKROP is a fine grocery with a wonderful selection.

Rumour has it that we'll soon be getting a PUBLIX from Florida, but that remains to be seen.

In the meantime, I suffer along with our local chain, FARM FRESH. They are expensive, but some of their stores are decent (I hestitate to say "top notch") - at least for this area. Historically, we don't get the "A" stores, we get the "B" and "C" stores.
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:53 pm

M.R. wrote:
The FRESH MARKET in my area bombed with me a long time ago. There was nothing of note in the store. The produce section was mediocre along with meat and seafood department.

Hmm, M R. That surprises me. We have been extremely happy with everything in the store other than their beef. We bought some steaks there once but frankly can find better in our local Harris Teeter. The seafood at our FM is outstanding, as is their bakery and bulk section. If nothing else, I must go there weekly to get some rotisserie chicken salad for my husband who is absolutely addicted to it. :roll: Good thing it is the closest grocery store to our house.

I grew up on Publix and even worked in one when I was in high school. (I'm from Florida originally.) It's a really nice chain (Where truly "shopping is a pleasure" -- their tag line). The only thing I ever disliked about it was that they pre-wrap their produce on styromfom trays. I prefer chosing my own pieces of produce, especially if I only need one zucchini or whatever. They "force" the customer to buy 4 or 5 unless someone has the patience to hunt down a produce manager and ask him or her to separate a package.