Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

coming to a close

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

coming to a close

by Thomas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:20 am

I always get maudlin at this time of year, as I watch the light fade, feel the air cool, and see the garden go into recession...

It was a good run this year: six weeks plus of fabulous tomato pickins; a small but healthy okra crop; reasonably good sweet red peppers, and an abundance of hot peppers in five varieties; pumpkins are marvelous; corn was intensely sweet; strawberries, raspberries, blueberries were great; what little pears, plums, apples that made it through the drought were fine; ogan melons got powdery mildew just as they were ripening--not as sweet as in years past; beans were spotty both from slug damage and drought; all greens produced profusely, as did all herbs; the drought helped the garlic crop; broccoli rape, collards, beets, leeks, onions lookin' real good; autumn raspberries are diving, pink and full of flavor!

Processing is ongoing, but today's will be feverish, as we are expecting a quick drop into the 30s F. tonight--by Monday we are scheduled to get back to 80 F. daytime (in the 60s today).

Maples turning and shedding leaves--always the first to go.

Oh, and I forgot: second crop of figs to EAT this year. Now I feel better.

Gearing up for a trip to Piemonte within a few days and this weather seems perfect for a test run on the clothing...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: coming to a close

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:56 am

Thomas wrote:six weeks plus of fabulous tomato pickins ... Maples turning and shedding leaves--always the first to go.

Now I remember what I didn't like about upstate New York. ;)

We're on about our 12th week of tomatoes here and likely will get another month, and it'll be well into October before the first leaves start to turn.

Otherwise, though, despite a near-drought, it's been a super summer for the garden here, too. I don't think we've ever had so many tomatoes, or so ripe and sweet. A freak April freeze knocked out the Kentucky and Southern Indiana peach crop, though, and a summer without any local peaches at all is a very sad thing.
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:54 am

Hello Thomas, how are you!! I logged in here to talk about one receipe that Robin posted in his newsletter and all of a sudden it is like old home week!

Glad you had a bountiful harvest. Today, here in Virginia Beach, we finally shut off the AC and opened the windows. Love the fresh air!! :D
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:59 am

M R Dutton wrote:Hello Thomas, how are you!! I logged in here to talk about one receipe that Robin posted in his newsletter and all of a sudden it is like old home week!

Glad you had a bountiful harvest. Today, here in Virginia Beach, we finally shut off the AC and opened the windows. Love the fresh air!! :D

Where have you been all these years? Last post I saw of yours on Mead's bb had to have been four or five years ago.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:six weeks plus of fabulous tomato pickins ... Maples turning and shedding leaves--always the first to go.

Now I remember what I didn't like about upstate New York. ;)

Whenever I bring up the subject to my wife she gets scared that I am going to want to move...one day she will be right.

Yet, I get to eat my own figs, I have an olive tree, I have a lemon tree, I have started a peach tree from seed, I have bay leaf and rosemary all year round, and I've learned how to preserve sage, thyme, and basil for winter. So it isn't all tough.

We are planning to erect a greenhouse for growing winter vegetables. Would have done it this year but too many family problems throughout the summer.

(The greenhouse is my wife's way of trying to pin me down here for good!)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:19 pm

Where have you been all these years? Last post I saw of yours on Mead's bb had to have been four or five years ago.

Long story, always a long story. I have been quite involved with a couple of groups for whom I maintain their websites. Between that and having a part-time job, I have not been getting around the discussion groups that much.

Verne and I stay in touch and I've also been in touch with Carl every now and then. I can't say that I'll be a constant visitor to this forum, but I do peek in every now and then. But I must admit it has been a while, I had to re-register as a user!! :wink:
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Our tomatoes just hit their peak last week and are cruising along. We had a week or so of good heat to bring them fully ripe, and several days of cooler weather have held them in suspended animation. It's warming up again this week, so there will be another wave.

I've got 20 pounds of assorted heirlooms sitting here.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Our tomatoes just hit their peak last week and are cruising along. We had a week or so of good heat to bring them fully ripe, and several days of cooler weather have held them in suspended animation. It's warming up again this week, so there will be another wave.

I've got 20 pounds of assorted heirlooms sitting here.

I've already got about twelve Ball jars of crushed tomatoes, and more to come. Planted an Eastern European tomato that is like a Roma but pointy; that and the Roma make great sauce tomatoes.

The heirlooms go into the mouth fresh, with basil, olive oil, black pepper and on a baguette or in the salad. They are so big and scary I have to negotiate terms with them before I cut into them...
Thomas P