Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Menu suggestion?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Menu suggestion?

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:45 am

Any ideas for a meal for two that incorporates two items: fake crab and fresh corn-on-the-cob? The corn can either be part of the entree with the fake crab or it can be a complementary side.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Menu suggestion?

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 am

Crab cakes?

With either the corn inside or alongside the cakes.

Any wine you're dying to feature?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:25 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Any ideas for a meal for two that incorporates two items: fake crab and fresh corn-on-the-cob? The corn can either be part of the entree with the fake crab or it can be a complementary side.

Odd combo, Larry. Is this some kind of an Iron Chef challenge?

Umm ... I guess I'd go for some kind of crab salad with crisp, just-cooked corn niblets in it. If I had to do it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Any ideas for a meal for two that incorporates two items: fake crab and fresh corn-on-the-cob? The corn can either be part of the entree with the fake crab or it can be a complementary side.

Odd combo, Larry. Is this some kind of an Iron Chef challenge?

Umm ... I guess I'd go for some kind of crab salad with crisp, just-cooked corn niblets in it. If I had to do it.

Nothing mysterious. I just bought some fake crab for a pasta recipe, but my aunt gave me a bunch of corn at the state fair. Pasta and corn won't work together, at least in my mind.

Crab cakes might work. I could put them in toasted buns and make a sandwich.

WARNING!: Oenophiles, immediately cover your ears and say, "LA, LA, LA, LA," as loud as you can.

I have a bottle of Inglenook Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay blend I want to try. I got it for next to nothing. And when a friend comes over later tonight, I want to try a Talus cab sav (I'm not familiar with that brand).

WARNING OVER!: Oenophiles, you can now go about your business as if nothing happened.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:59 am

Quiche, Larry. Think quiche. If it's not too late, that is.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Chinese dish: crab and corn chowder. Add fresh diced jalapeno for a New Mexico angle.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Chinese dish: crab and corn chowder. Add fresh diced jalapeno for a New Mexico angle.

Maybe I'm offbase here, but I'm surprised at all the dishes involving heat and cooking that Larry is getting here. Maybe I just don't do enough <i>surimi</i>, but I thought it was better for salads and other non-heat applications ... doesn't heat just turn it back into mushy fish?
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:48 pm

I was going to suggest that the fake crab be thrown away.

Then the corn could be used to enhance a salad or make a nice corn chowder.

Since fall approaches, the chowder would be my option.

(By the way, for those who don't know, you can add heat to the fake crab stuff and it does maintain its consistency without turning to fish mush, even though that is what it is.) (Fake crab does not grace my kitchen, but I know someone who makes a casserole out of it. The casserole has enough cheese in it to hid the fact that the crab is fake....... I won't comment anymore on that.)
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:08 pm

We have 1200 miles of beach here, so I occasionally use fake crab instead of the real things I used to catch with fish heads in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

And so all you good folks can sleep tonight without tossing and turning wondering what Larry made for din-din tonight, I offer you the following:

Fake crab sandwiches made with fake crab salad (crab, mayo, shallots, diced cukes and celery, tarragon, and a grind or two of some Asian seasoning) on toasted sesame seed hamburger buns with a leaf of Romaine.

Corn-on-the-cob

Homemade french <I> fries

Hummingbird tongues with white truffles and Beluga caviar in a saffron sauce to keep the menu from being too pedestrian.

Inglenook Pinot Grigio-Chardonnay choked down as an experiment ("A bit impudent, but eminently palatable >sniff< ).
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Larry, next time, in the name of interest, you should try my FABULOUS Peanut butter, Catfish, Kimchi Enchiladas served in a warm Watermelon Broth.

Please do send the recipe for the Humming Bird Tongue. YUM!

rwj
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:We have 1200 miles of beach here, so I occasionally use fake crab instead of the real things I used to catch with fish heads in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware..

We used to use chicken necks - Which bay did you frequent: Rehoboth, Indian River or Assawoman? Now we just go to the seafood market and buy some - picked or unpicked no nevermind to me. But my wife won't get near the unpicked version.

(I fear I should not say this in this forum, but I'll let you know I am a Delaware native.)
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Rehoboth. And I remember my uncle even putting cages into some canals.

I caught my first fish (a flounder) at Indian River at age 6.